New Install, WebUI Issues

Hey everyone, just installed Rockstor 3.8-7 on a whitebox.
I did basic configuration during the installation, and on first boot it gave a message "Cannot configure without IP address"
IP address was DHCP, i manually set it, rebooted and It then said "Rockstor can be configured at https://IP_ADDRESS"
However, I can never get to the WebUI.

• I can SSH into the box
  • I used the same ISO to install in a VM and it worked fine from that

##PRIMARY INTERFACE
TYPE="Ethernet"
BOOTPROTO=none
DEFROUTE="yes"
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT="yes"
IPV6_AUTOCONF="yes"
IPV6_DEFROUTE="yes"
IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
NAME="enp1s0"
UUID="b923d38a-1e67-4794-8389-6915ede092eb"
DEVICE="enp1s0"
ONBOOT="yes"
DNS1=8.8.8.8
DNS2=208.67.222.222
IPADDR=10.10.10.100
PREFIX=24
GATEWAY=10.10.10.10
IPV6_PEERDNS=yes
IPV6_PEERROUTES=yes

Anyone else run into this issue?
Anyone have any ideas to resolve?

@MasterfulMethods Welcome to Rockstor community!

There are the following outstanding issues related to the problem you encountered:

I am working on closing all of these in the coming update. In the meantime, you can try the following.

1. ssh into the box as root
  2. rm /opt/rockstor/.initrock
  3. run this command: /opt/rockstor/bin/initrock . I am interested in the output of this command. Also, it may fix the issue.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did see the 2nd thread you posted before creating my own. I’ll look at the other 2 threads also and see if I can figure anything else out.

the .initrock file did not exist in /opt/rockstor, so nothing to remove there
output of the initrock command:

[root@rockstor ~]# /opt/rockstor/bin/initrock
2015-09-08 11:53:00,759: Supported kernel(/boot/vmlinuz-4.1.0-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64) is already the default
2015-09-08 11:53:00,813: Checking for flash and Running flash optimizations if appropriate.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/bin/initrock”, line 43, in
sys.exit(scripts.initrock.main())
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/scripts/initrock.py”, line 194, in main
run_command([FLASH_OPTIMIZE, ‘-x’])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 85, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
system.exceptions.CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = [’/opt/rockstor//bin/flash-optimize’, ‘-x’]. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘Tr
aceback (most recent call last):’, ’ File “/opt/rockstor//bin/flash-optimize”, line 43, in ‘, ’ sys.exit(scripts.flash_optimize.main())’
, ’ File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/scripts/flash_optimize.py”, line 163, in main’, ’ rd = root_disk()’, ’ File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs
/btrfs.py”, line 726, in root_disk’, ’ raise NonBTRFSRootException(msg)’, “system.exceptions.NonBTRFSRootException: ‘root filesystem is not BTRFS
. During Rockstor installation, you must select BTRFS instead of LVM and other options for root filesystem. Please re-install Rockstor properly.’”,
’’]

Thanks again

Looks like BTRFS was not chosen as the partitioning scheme in the installer. You will need to install again. The installer should auto proceed by selecting BTRFS scheme, not sure what happened in your case. When you try again, please choose automatic partitioning with BTRFS.

Hey suman,

I went ahead and reinstalled, manually erasing previous partitions and creating new with BTRFS. After that, upon first boot I was able to access the WebUI, so maybe something wasn’t happening correctly with auto-partitioning.

Thanks for the suggestion, now I can mess around with the system more

1 Like

Please do. Your feedback and contributions are highly appreciated!

Just want update that one of the issues(799) referenced in my previous commend is now resolved and merged as part of 3.8-8 update.

I had to to run /opt/rockstor/bin/initrock, because I couldn’t log in via web gui anymore. How can I add the 2 previously made accounts to this “new” webui? Had to make admin2 account. Also that re-init will discard all backup configs, so better save one to off-site.

I am having a similar issue after a fresh install. I am unable to connect to the web-ui. I have tried reinstalling. I’m going to continue trying to fix the issue and I will happily perform any troubleshooting steps you may advise.

I’m trying the new 3.8.9 iso and receive the message “Error setting up base repository” under Software/Installation Source in the Installation Summary

the torrent link in Download is still for 3.8.7

I am installing the RockStor 3.8-11 and I can’t log in to the Web UI. after deleting .initrock and running bin/initrock, I get This :

[root@Rockstor rockstor]# bin/initrock
2016-01-23 12:33:41,671: Supported kernel(/boot/vmlinuz-4.3.3-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64) is already the default
2016-01-23 12:33:41,980: /etc/rc.d/rc.local looks correct. Not updating.
2016-01-23 12:33:41,980: Checking for flash and Running flash optimizations if appropriate.
2016-01-23 12:33:43,158: Updating the timezone from the system
2016-01-23 12:33:43,160: system timezone = Africa/Tunis
2016-01-23 12:33:43,163: Updating sshd_config
2016-01-23 12:33:43,166: sshd_config already has the updates. Leaving it unchanged.
2016-01-23 12:33:43,167: Please be patient. This script could take a few minutes
2016-01-23 12:33:44,197: initializing Postgresql…
2016-01-23 12:33:50,663: Done.

2016-01-23 12:34:02,188: Creating app databases…
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “bin/initrock”, line 43, in
sys.exit(scripts.initrock.main())
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/scripts/initrock.py”, line 361, in main
run_command([‘su’, ‘-’, ‘postgres’, ‘-c’, ‘/usr/bin/createdb smartdb’])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 89, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
system.exceptions.CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = [‘su’, ‘-’, ‘postgres’, ‘-c’, ‘/usr/bin/createdb smartdb’]. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘createdb: database creation failed: ERROR: could not stat file “base/16384/12895”: No such file or directory’, ‘’]

Seems like a Psql problem. As Psql is my most hated db, I really need help.

@Hamdi_Kadri Welcome to the Rockstor community. I haven’t managed to reproduce your issue I’m afraid. I am assuming it’s a new install from the just released 3.8-11 iso (based on this forum thread title). There is a delay of about a minute depending on the speed of your machine before one can first access the WebUI after the first boot. Bit of a long shot I know but just thought it’s worth noting.
Have you tried running the built in USB media self check install option via “Test this media & install Rockstor” option?

Let us know how you get on. There should be no need to go through the procedure you indicate having taken.

1 Like

May be you’re right. I will try to reinstall (i am doing that on virtual box anyway) and see if it is as you say

Thanks @phillxnet. I’d like to add that initrock shouldn’t be manually run unless you’ve established that’s what needs to be done. My guess is that rockstor-pre service was still activating. It’s normal for it to take upto a couple of minutes on slow systems like VMs as it’s setting up a lot of stuff on the initial setup. If you run into this issue again, report back the output of following command

systemctl status -l rockstor-pre rockstor rockstor-bootstrap. You’ll most likely see that rockstor-pre shows “activating”. Once it finishes and shows “active”, rockstor and rockstor-bootstrap services quickly become “active” and the Web-UI will be ready.

OK here’s what I get after a new setup:

janv. 25 10:13:59 Rockstor systemd[1]: rockstor-pre.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
janv. 25 10:13:59 Rockstor systemd[1]: Failed to start Tasks required prior to starting Rockstor.
janv. 25 10:13:59 Rockstor systemd[1]: Unit rockstor-pre.service entered failed state.
janv. 25 10:13:59 Rockstor systemd[1]: rockstor-pre.service failed.

• rockstor.service - RockStor startup script
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/rockstor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: inactive (dead)

janv. 25 10:13:59 Rockstor systemd[1]: Dependency failed for RockStor startup script.
janv. 25 10:13:59 Rockstor systemd[1]: Job rockstor.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.

• rockstor-bootstrap.service - Rockstor bootstrapping tasks
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/rockstor-bootstrap.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)

janv. 25 10:13:59 Rockstor systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Rockstor bootstrapping tasks.
janv. 25 10:13:59 Rockstor systemd[1]: Job rockstor-bootstrap.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.

I wonder if it is a corrupted ISO anyway. can anyone hand me a checksum for the latest version?

@Hamdi_Kadri There are plans to have the md5sum more readily available in a set location but for the time being it’s been posted for 3.8-11 in the “Announcing Rockstor 3.8-11” thread in this post.

I checked the ISO and the file is OK. Thanks anyway for your help.

@Hamdi_Kadri Great, you could also use the “Test this media & install Rockstor” to install as well, that way you get to check the reading of the usb stick in the machine. There is a pending document addition that should help with these steps that should hopefully soon be added to the docs.

OK, now that I am sure about the validity of my ISO, I tried to install for the 4th time. I can access in SSH but WUI fails always (even if the console shows me that I can access via https://IP_ADDRESS)

I run that command as you proposed guys, and this is all the output:

[root@Rockstor ~]# systemctl status -l rockstor-pre rockstor rockstor-bootstrap

• rockstor-pre.service - Tasks required prior to starting Rockstor
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/rockstor-pre.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since lun. 2016-01-25 15:05:45 CET; 2min 11s ago
    Main PID: 1516 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor initrock[1516]: downgrade_python(logging)
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor initrock[1516]: File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/scripts/initrock.py”, line 270, in downgrade_python
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor initrock[1516]: o, e, rc = run_command([YUM, ‘info’, ‘python’])
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor initrock[1516]: File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 89, in run_command
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor initrock[1516]: raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor initrock[1516]: system.exceptions.CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = [’/usr/bin/yum’, ‘info’, ‘python’]. rc = 1. stdout = [‘Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror’, ‘Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=7&arch=x86_64&repo=os&infra=stock error was’, ‘14: curl#7 - “Failed to connect to 2a02:2498:1:3d:5054:ff:fed3:e91a: Network is unreachable”’, ‘’]. stderr = [’’, ‘’, ’ One of the configured repositories failed (Unknown),’, " and yum doesn’t have enough cached data to continue. At this point the only", ’ safe thing yum can do is fail. There are a few ways to work “fix” this:’, ‘’, ’ 1. Contact the upstream for the repository and get them to fix the problem.’, ‘’, ’ 2. Reconfigure the baseurl/etc. for the repository, to point to a working’, ’ upstream. This is most often useful if you are using a newer’, ’ distribution release than is supported by the repository (and the’, ’ packages for the previous distribution release still work).’, ‘’, " 3. Disable the repository, so yum won’t use it by default. Yum will then", ’ just ignore the repository until you permanently enable it again or use’, ’ --enablerepo for temporary usage:’, ‘’, ’ yum-config-manager --disable ‘, ‘’, ’ 4. Configure the failing repository to be skipped, if it is unavailable.’, ’ Note that yum will try to contact the repo. when it runs most commands,’, ’ so will have to try and fail each time (and thus. yum will be be much’, ’ slower). If it is a very temporary problem though, this is often a nice’, ’ compromise:’, ‘’, ’ yum-config-manager --save --setopt=.skip_if_unavailable=true’, ‘’, ‘Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: base/x86_64’, ‘’]
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor systemd[1]: rockstor-pre.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor systemd[1]: Failed to start Tasks required prior to starting Rockstor.
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor systemd[1]: Unit rockstor-pre.service entered failed state.
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor systemd[1]: rockstor-pre.service failed.

• rockstor.service - RockStor startup script
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/rockstor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor systemd[1]: Dependency failed for RockStor startup script.
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor systemd[1]: Job rockstor.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.

• rockstor-bootstrap.service - Rockstor bootstrapping tasks
    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/rockstor-bootstrap.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)

janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor systemd[1]: Dependency failed for Rockstor bootstrapping tasks.
janv. 25 15:05:45 Rockstor systemd[1]: Job rockstor-bootstrap.service/start failed with result ‘dependency’.
[root@Rockstor ~]#

I am about to give up on this, :frowning: