Am i thinking or doing this right?

Hi

I am trying out Rockstor with some old hardware i have sitting around before upgrading everything for a better system.

At present i have the following drive wise:

64gb USB = running the Rockstor install

298.10gb = set up with the Rock-Ons config shares on

298.10gb = Empty

465.80gb = Set up to hold Music & Videos (Empty at present)

465.80gb = Set up to hold TV & Movies (Empty at present)

All drives at present are set as Single drives

If i try and resize say the first 298.10gb to a Raid1 all i get is error as follows:

Error running a command. cmd = btrfs balance start -mconvert=raid1 -dconvert=raid1 /mnt2/Add-Ons. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [“ERROR: error during balancing ‘/mnt2/Add-Ons’: Invalid argument”, ‘There may be more info in syslog - try dmesg | tail’, ‘’]

Is it something i’m doing or is it the limits of the BTRFS system that i keep reading about?

Thanks in advance.
Richard

@Spiceworld Hello again.

I’ll chip in on this one.

raid1 requires at least 2 disks, so a single disk pool cannot be made into raid1.

Hope that helps.

Hi

I do get/understand that but does that mean i can’t change it after i have the disks added?

I have 4 disks installed already albeit different sizes. Are you saying that i need to delete a disk so that i can then change another already installed disk to a different Raid type?

Thanks
Richard

@Spiceworld

No.

You need more than a single disk in a pool in order to change it’s raid from single to raid1 given raid1’s minimum disk count requirement of 2. It needs at least 2 disks in the pool so that it can ensure the data is stored on at least 2 ‘different’ devices simultaneously.

The Pools section of the docs has a subsection Redundancy profiles that may help here.

I.e you ‘pool’ disks together and then sub divide their combined storage by way of shares (or subvolumes in btrfs speak).

Could you not add the presumably unassigned Empty 298 GB disk to the pool you want to change to raid1 such that the pool meets the minimum requirement to convert in place to raid1 (from single).

Hope that helps.

Ok that has explained it perfectly. I thought i could just have the disks installed and it was treated overall as 1 big pool.

So the easiest way is to just have most / all disks in 1 pool and then split from their into different shares?

As they say “Everyday is a school day” :blush:

Thanks

Just tried it and worked perfectly.

Not that i doubted you :rofl: