New ? Unknown internal error doing a POST to /api/commands/update-check

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

[Unknown internal error doing a POST to /api/commands/update-check
]

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

[I just clicked on the update now button when I finally got the OS installed and gained access to the web ui. After about 5 minutes of a spinning wheel it gave me the "Unknown internal error doing a POST to /api/commands/update-check
" message!

Web-UI screenshot

[Screenshot%20(8)|690x431 ]]

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

[Unknown internal error doing a POST to /api/commands/update-check ] That's all there was.

@Natep Welcome to the Rockstor community.

This sounds like the the update-check simply timed out and so the front end gave up on it. It could still be running in the background but the Web-UI assumed it was toast as it took so long. This could happen if you have just installed as there are hundreds of MB of upstream updates that are also installed whenever you do a rockstor version update. One can update all but the rockstor package (by the flashing icon to the left of the “Linux”, but when you update the ‘Rockstor’ version it updates all packages including the rockstor associated packages.

Git it some time and don’t reboot in the mean time. I’d look to how busy the cpu is in the Dashboard.

And to double check what’s happening, and to possibly answer questions of changed certificates, if that is the cause here, then run the following command as root in a local terminal, or ssh, on your Rockstor machine:

yum update

Also if your machine is particularly slow, or the system drive is not appropriate, ie not a fast device like an HDD / SSD, or a fast USB key, then this update will also take ages. See the Minimum system requirements section in our Docs.

Hope that helps and let us know how this goes. We do plan on releasing a new fully updated openSUSE based installer soon but we are just not quite there just yet.

Thank you for the quick response.
I left it on overnight and didn’t notice a change.
I discovered the flashing icon to the left of “Linux” this morning and clicked on it.
I hit update and it didn’t throw any errors at me, so I left it alone.
As far as the hardware goes, I have easily double the requirements. I made sure if that before I got set up. That was one of the reasons I went with Rockstor over FreeNAS. FreeNAS is nice, but the hardware needed is way more than I need for my use case.
I’ll see where the updates are at when I get home and try running that {yum update} if nothing has changed. I’ll Keep you posted. And thanks again. =)

@Natep Thanks for the update.

Main think is to not reboot it in the middle of the update. I think this was just a Web-UI timeout while it was processing the massive number of updates now from our now old ISO install.

the:

yum update

as root user in terminal is a good idea, just because it will help to confirm the state of things. It may also ask you to confirm key changes, this is safe and just say yes (y) we have seen this before also.

Hope that helps.

Just Got home and logged into the server. Looks like everything updated just fine and current versions are running.
Now that that is out of the road, I can start getting my VPN and cloud services going. Thanks a ton for looking at this and giving me the tips.

1 Like