Upgrading to 3.8.16 from 3.8-14 or before? Read this

This guide is for subscribers to Stable updates. Rockstor upgrade from 3.8.15 to the latest release, 3.8.16 is simple. Just click on the update notification in the UI and be on your way. However, some users tend to be on prior versions and may try to upgrade directly to 3.8.16 and this will most likely break. We sent out an e-mail in advance of releasing 3.8.16 to get your system upgraded to 3.8.15 for a smooth transition. But it’s totally understandable some users couldn’t do that in time. This guide is for you.

My system is running a version prior to 3.8.15 and I see the update notification, what do I do?

You need to upgrade to 3.8.15 first from the command line. Login to your system as root user and follow these steps

1. Upgrade the rpm: yum update rockstor-3.8.15
  2. Reboot the system: shutdown -r now
  3. After the system comes back up, login to the UI and you’ll notice that another update(3.8.16) is available. Click on the version and upgrade to 3.8.16. Note that this is the normal upgrade process.
  4. You will be suggested to reboot into a new kernel after the upgrade. Follow the instructions to reboot the system once again from the UI.

I have a broken system after upgrading to 3.8.16. What do I do?

This most likely happened because the ugprade was performed from a version prior to 3.8.15. The easiest way to get back up is to re-install Rockstor from 3.8.16 ISO and import your data back from the UI. But if you want to fix manually, login to your system as root user and follow these steps

1. Check that the installed rpm version is 3.8.16 with this command: yum info rockstor. If the version is not 3.8.16 then your system is broken for a different reason. Please contact support@rockstor.com and we’ll help you. If the version is 3.8.16, proceed to the next step.
  2. Downgrade the rpm to 3.8-14: yum downgrade rockstor-3.8-14
  3. Reboot the system: shutdown -r now
  4. Make sure you are able to login to the UI from a browser, then back to the terminal.
  5. Upgrade the rpm to 3.8.15: yum update rockstor-3.8.15
  6. Reboot again: shutdown -r now
  7. After the system comes back up, login to the UI and you’ll notice that another update(3.8.16) is available. Click on the version and upgrade to 3.8.16. Note that this is the normal upgrade process.
  8. You will be suggested to reboot into a new kernel after the upgrade. Follow the instructions to reboot the system once again from the UI.

Feel free to comment on this post if you need more help. You can also e-mail support@rockstor.com for further assistance.

1 Like

Hi @suman, could you please give a little hint on what kind of problems are likely to occur?
I think I was on 3.8.14 before the update, everything seems to work fine but every now and then I get this error (system log):
WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 49639 at fs/btrfs/transaction.c:320 record_root_in_trans+0x114/0x120 [btrfs]
Could this be related?

Hi @maxhq,
actually update from Rockstor 3.8-14 required not because of btrfs, but some database dependencies (3.8-16 assumes all 3.8-15 db tables already exist)

That’s all

Hi All,
I am not able to update to 3.8-15. When I try to update using " yum update rockstor-3.8.15" I get the following error:

Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Rockstor-Testing | 2.9 kB 00:00
rockstor | 2.9 kB 00:00
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

Is there something else that I need to do?

A “yum list available rockstor --showduplicates” yields:
Available Packages
rockstor.x86_64 3.8-12 rockstor
rockstor.x86_64 3.8.16-1 Rockstor-Testing
rockstor.x86_64 3.8.16-2 Rockstor-Testing
rockstor.x86_64 3.8.16-4 Rockstor-Testing

Thanks,
Bill

Experiencing the same problem here…

Or is updating from 3.8-14 to 3.8-16 fixed, and can I ‘just’ update?