Can only boot using rescue kernel

I can only get Rockstor to run by booting the “rescue” kernel (4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64). It runs fine, but I get the message: “You are running an unsupported kernel(4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64). Some features may not work properly. Please reboot and the system will automatically boot using the supported kernel(4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64)”. When I let it boot with the current kernel, I get: “Kernel: BTRFS error (device sda1) failed to read the system array: -5”.

I tried the standard tests and fixes (yum check, yum history, yum remove kernel…, yum install kernel…).
I’m using an old Gateway with an AMD Phenom II X4 820, 5 GB RAM and two WD Caviar Green 1.0TB drives (booting from one of those disks).

Booting (from any version) always returns the error: “ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)” - but I understand that is a bug; and the rescue kernel works!

As I said it is working when I pick the rescue kernel, but if it reboots (for any reason), it will pick the newer kernel and not work. I know that I can have grub go to the rescue version, but I’d like to use a full current version.

Any help or suggestions?

I did the installation on a single disk (which booted with no problem), then reinstalled on all four disks (up from the original two disk installation).
It installed 4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64; I updated to 4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 - now I get the message (on the dashboard):
“You are running an unsupported kernel(4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64). Some features may not work properly. Please reboot and the system will automatically boot using the supported kernel(4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64)”

Now I have to activate the “new” disks,

I’m not sure where you get that impression, bug reports I’ve seen regarding this are from back in 2008/9.
This smells like hardware failure to me - SATA controller or disk failure.

Have you tried just a yum update?

Failing that, you can force rockstor to recognize your particular Kernel version as mentioned by @phillxnet in this thread:

That should at least clean up the errors regarding the Kernel version, however it should be noted that I think this check exists to ensure that your Kernel and btrfs-progs are in sync.

I don’t think it will be dangerous to alter this, however it may be prudent to wait for developer feedback.