[Solved] Can't create new share

Ok guys, Rockstore has been running like a champ since initial install a while back. Just got back from three weeks of travel and have some issues, not sure if the cause is any updates, it’s been running on autopilot for a while without issue… First is the rockons were off, which I thought was odd, but this seemed to clear after a reboot.

The next issue is I get an error creating a new share and I did capture the exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/share.py”, line 170, in post
pqid = qgroup_create(pool)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 700, in qgroup_create
qid = (’%s/%d’ % (QID, qgroup_max(mnt_pt) + 1))
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 687, in qgroup_max
o, e, rc = run_command([BTRFS, ‘qgroup’, ‘show’, mnt_pt], log=True)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 121, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /sbin/btrfs qgroup show /mnt2/MainRaidStor. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [“ERROR: can’t list qgroups: quotas not enabled”, ‘’]

Any thoughts or suggestions? Not in a big hurry, just in the process of reorganizing my network storage drives. System specs and any other information is available if you need it.

@superfrog73 Hello again. Glad it’s been working out for you (at least until now that is).

It is.

Yes we have had that happen on some updates and not surprising for a recent and problematic move from docker to docker-ce which is the cause, sort of, of your main issue:

Yes, the cause of this is that docker-ce very unexpectedly ended up disabling quotas on the pool backing the rock-ons-root share. This is very bad behaviour in my mind as it isn’t any of it’s business. I found the following docker-ce issue which seems to confirm this behaviour:

Anyway it happened and Rockstor doesn’t really do quotas disabled very well. So the good news is that if you execute the following as root for your pool-name you should be able to create shares again. Unfortunately this is necessary after every boot to avoid our current failing with quotas disabled.

btrfs quota enable /mnt2/pool-name

But I have been working on improving Rockstor’s behaviour when quotas are disabled:

And the code against that issue is almost done and so I should be able to submit it for review shortly. It includes a fix for the share creation with quotas disabled plus a few other bits and bobs. Unfortunately the changes needed to allow for quotas to be disabled / enabled at will were not that trivial so it may take a little while longer in testing and review before it reaches the stable channel. I’ve also added some UI components to display warnings when ever a pool has quotas disabled.

Hope that helps and thanks for the report.

Philip Guyton, Thanks so much for the quick answer. entered the btrfs command at the CLI and was able to create the new share. Since I only really reboot once every couple of months, I’ll add it to the “post-it mosaic” I have going around my monitors as a reminder for the next reboot.