Headless install (Intel ss4200 NAS)

I currently have a NAS running on an Intel ss4200 Nas box, which does not have an video card, and can only be used with a serial connection for install. I am considering to install RockStor but could not find information about headless install. I would like to know whether RockStor supports a serial console out of the box (both installer and the installed system), and if so, how to configure the console. I would be grateful for any information.

Thnx
Erik

Erik,

I’ve never tried this, but would like to help you figure this out.

Are you able to access the system bios via serial console? Perhaps you’ve tried console access to bios as explained here: http://ss4200.pbworks.com/w/page/5122741/Console%20Access%20via%20RS232

Hi Suman,
Yes I have had this working for a long time. Currently the NAS is running Zentyal (Ubuntu based). So I have serial console access to the box during boot, and because Ubuntu (and Debian) have buildin serial console redirection, also to the linux console. But, I have no experience with CentOS, and  I can’t find a clear answer to the question whether CentOS has buildin serial console redirection. I tried a while ago, but got no console. But that does not mean that is won’t work (I tried some configs but not all). And may be Rockstor has default enabled the console access. later during this week I will make a new ISB install disk, and try again (and report).

Thnx
Erik

The current Rockstor iso(3.5-0) doesn’t support USB install. It only supports a CD install. I’ve started debugging this issue though, so we can support USB install soon.

What happens when you install Rockstor now? I am guessing that the console redirection settings of the bios work until you see the splash screen. Once you hit enter on the splash screen to start installing Rockstor, do you lose communication? If so, hit TAB on the splash screen to see the kernel boot parameters. Add the following at the end of the line “console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8” and hit enter to boot.

I haven’t tried this, so I am mostly guessing here. Also, you may need to change the baud rate from 19200 to whatever is appropriate. Let me know if this works.

Just want to add to my previous comment that the new iso(3.5-5) supports USB install. I am eager to find out if you are able to install Rockstor.

As Rockstor is based on CentOS7, a kickstart file might be of assistance here?  We deploy/manage a large estate of RHEL boxes and kickstart is the best way to manage headless install in my view.

Theoretically, once the ISO install has been copied to USB key, edit the file (not sure which one off the top of my head) that boots the install image and add “ks=$KICKSTART_FILENAME”.  Then create your kickstart file with all your specific answers.
I’ve done this in the past for Fedora installs for sure and regularly use it for CentOS7 installs (but booting to a PXE menu to provide the right install path).