Installed an UPS, but how to know if its working

I just got my hands on an UPS.

They were surplus at work, and I got it very very cheap.

Its a Coromatic Blazer Vista 2000.

It seems to be working OK, allthough I suspect the batteries are somewhat out of shape. Its been sitting in the warehouse for some years.

I have tested it on my everyday PC, and it keeps it allive when I pull the power, and after some time it even initiated that the PC shutdown, because of low battery, and the PC safely shut down. So that was encouraging.

I have installed it on my Rockstor system, with the recommended settings, and using the blazer_usb driver.

Activated the NUT-UPS service, and it seems to work. At least the button stays activated.

Is there any way to check any parameters to see if it is actually working?

Read out battery status and so on?

@KarstenV Hello again. That looks like quite a find. Also the batteries are pretty standard by the looks of it so if they are nearly shot it shouldn’t be too expensive to replace them.

Yes the user feedback / telemetry is definitely a weak area currently in the NUT/UPS side. I’m hoping that we get a widget or the like in time but the initial priority was just to get the setup interface done. I tried to squeeze a basic monitor in there but there just wan’t time.

Yes I’m afraid, somewhat sadly, that is the only current feedback of success!

Anyway, to your question.

The command you are looking for is something along the lines of:

upsc ups@localhost

assuming you have the ups locally connected then the Rockstor setup defaults to using the “ups” name.

I thought I’d put this in the developer docs on this feature (Network UPS Tools (NUT) - Rockstor's implementation) but apparently not (on just looking).

You might like to look at the final section “Some shiny” of my Rockstor blog post “Why NUT” on ways you can monitor the UPS over the network from any number of machines. I use the Gnome Shell Extension walNUT. You would have to run the Rockstor NUT instance in netserver mode rather than standalone though. Details of how to configure in all the various modes is available in our UPS / NUT Setup official docs section.

And given the output power of that model 1200W (2000VA) you might be able to use it for more than just the Rockstor machine. NUT can also facilitate the shutting down of client machines via it’s network client server model. Again if the UPS is attached directly to the Rockstor instance (data cable wise) it would have to run in netserver mode while the other machines in netclient mode, just remember to power the ethernet switch from the UPS as well though :slight_smile:. It takes pains to attempt to shut the client machines down first as well which is nice.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Using the command line you provided I got this:

[root@rockstornas ~]# upsc ups@localhost
battery.charge: 100
battery.voltage: 27.10
battery.voltage.high: 26.00
battery.voltage.low: 20.80
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
device.type: ups
driver.name: blazer_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: 2.7.2
driver.version.internal: 0.11
input.current.nominal: 8.0
input.frequency: 50.0
input.frequency.nominal: 50
input.voltage: 229.0
input.voltage.fault: 229.1
input.voltage.nominal: 230
output.voltage: 223.5
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 30
ups.delay.start: 180
ups.load: 0
ups.productid: 5161
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 25.0
ups.type: offline / line interactive
ups.vendorid: 0665

So it definately looks like things are working OK.

I’ll look into the options you mention in the some Shiny section.

The ups is allready used for my NAS, and another computer. I’ll look into getting that one to auto shut down as well using the netserver mode.

Edit:

It was quite easy to set up some remote monitoring of the UPS, and I can now check the basic health of the UPS from my PC’s.

I actually find the current implementation rather easy to use. I’m sure a lot of work is behind making it so easy to set up. Well done.

Looking forward to having a widget in the dashboard with relevant info :slight_smile:

@KarstenV Thanks for the update.

Cool, and chuffed you like the current implementation; at least config wise.

‘Non trivial’ springs to mind and thanks. NUT is a fantastic project and pretty powerful but is not the easiest thing to configure by hand. There are elements of it’s capability that we simply don’t cater for, and in part this was to try and keep the process as simple as possible but still allow for the fantastic netserver and netclient modes.

Me too. And or a simple readout on the configuration page to indicate battery level or something. Just for a basic level of reassurance config wise. NUT itself already has java script and python libraries so we should be able to do what ever.

Chuffed you got the netserver / remote monitoring side up and running.

Let us know if you try the netclient auto shutdown on that second machine also powered by the UPS. Worked here when I tried it during development.

1 Like