Missing repository Rockstor Stable on 15.6

Hi, have updated to 15,6, but there’s a repo missing Rockstor-stable 15.6, is there any way to fix this?

@rabbifede Hello again, and welcome back.

We have not yet reached our next designated stable rpm state; hence have yet to create a stable repository for this release. The downloads page indicates this vai a new table recently added/updated.

But our current testing channel is nearing the stable state as we are now in the Stable Release Candidate phase there with 5.0.13-0:

I.e. 5.0.13-0 is an RC8 release. And we have some pending changes that should emerge soon as 5.0.14-0: which - at least initially - is looking to be our next stable release. But only time will tell: as we have yet to receive show-stopper reports on 5.0.13-0 issues that have yet to receive pending fixes.

As above, it’s at our end and is a development timing issue - plus I need to work on our back-end maintenance so that I can at least publish empty signed repos for target OS version to avoid this cosmetic but never-the-less disconcerting error. That inevitably crops up as our release time-line differs/drifts from our upsteam of openSUSE. But note that openSUSE Leap 15.6 is our main target now. And will be receiving the first stable rpm once we have its fitness confirmed in the testing channel first.

Hope that helps, and note that this ‘missing repo’ does not hold up any other available updates: only the rockstor rpm which will come-into effect as soon as that repo actually exits.

4 Likes

In future I think priority should be to keep up with openSUSE’s releases. Currently stable is couple of steps behind and has not got any security updates for months (which for connected data storage is kinda critical IMO).

1 Like

Hi @Jorma_Tuomainen ,

Thank you for the feedback and the understanding. We do agree with you and that’s the reason why we started setting Leap 15.6 as target for our next Stable release even before its full release. Unfortunately, this has brought its own set of work as a few changes crept up for which Rockstor needed to adapt. This was on top of an already busy release cycle for this Rockstor Stable rpm as we were attacking a very big change related to our technical debt: moving to Python and to the latest Django LTS release. These two were enormous tasks for Rockstor-core’s code itself but also for our backend infrastructure so that is why the current testing release cycle has been taking longer than what we would have hoped. We are almost there, though, and it shouldn’t be too long anymore.

Once the next Stable rpm is release, we’re hoping to focus the next testing cycle on modernizing our front end so that we can more easily implement long awaited features and improvements on that front. This should also greatly help attract and onboard new contributions that would ultimately help speed up the pace of development and thus release.

I hope this provides some reassurance on our seriousness and focus on providing up-to-date code and dependencies. At the very least, I hope I was able to provide some additional context here.

Thank you again for your continued contribution and feedback!

2 Likes

Hello @phillxnet
I just signed up for the Stable updates channel and getting similar error:

I understand that when the next release candidate (RC) becomes the ‘stable’ then the stable repo will be that release.
My question is: is there any “harm” in updating the OpenSuse Leap 15.6 RPM’s on the OS side? (via zypper) … I didn’t want to affect my Stable 5.0.9.0 as I am putting this into production. Also, I have been running 5.0.13-0 very successfully, but reformatted to move to the stable release.
Really like Rockstor compared to TrueNAS Core!

@johnc Thanks for your patience on this front.

Re:

No.

The 5.0.9-0 rpm was an earlier Release Candidate (RC4 as it goes) testing channel rpm:

It was the latest available Stable RC status rpm when we last rebuild our installers. But it is still pre-stable. This way we got folks off to a far newer start than having them run the older (and last available) 4.6.1-0 Stable rpm. And only the testing RC status rpms had fixes in that allowed us to use the newer Leap OSs.

Good, and yes, 5.0.13-0 is our RC8 Stable Release Candidate:

Then it is best to use the latest available RC status rpm: which today is 5.0.13-0 in testing: but this week I hope to also release 5.0.14-0 (RC9) into testing. You can then, as this version is only available in the testing channel to-date (as we are in late testing phase, hence the RC status), move your install over to the Stable channel to avoid accidentally running into the beginning of the next testing phase.

The hope is that 5.0.14-0 will, if no show-stoppers appear, then be promoted into the Stable channel, (new repo in 15.6), and we then kick-off the next testing phase.

So in-summary, use latest RC from testing, but then move back to Stable to halt the system at that version of the ‘rockstor’ rpm. Then when 5.0.14-0 (or what-ever is ear-marked as our first stable rpm in this latest run) is published in stable your system will just update to that, and all subsequent smaller fixes released to the stable channel.

Thank again for your patience and understanding here. I will soon begin working on a back-end to create an empty signed repo so we avoid these errors with the next release. But as-always time is always short and these repo errors, in zypper, are purely cosmetic; if also quite distracting. Plus we are now so close to the next Stable rpm that the repo can be created when that rpm is finally published.

We also plan, upon the first Stable release (which may be RC9, as above) to rebuild our installers so folks start out on our first released Stable rpm from the get-go (initial install). But again resources, human and otherwise, have held us back on that front. But as we develop, these restrictions are easing, especially as folks chip-in to support our efforts. Thanks again for your Stable subscription on that front.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

@phillxnet
Thank you for your detailed reply! I feel a little stupid reformatting my NAS PC (with external drives) from the running 5.0.13-0 (RC8) to 5.0.9.0 (RC4)I I was thinking I had to start from the 5.0.9.0 ISO and then immediately activate my stable subscription. I will pay better attention to the forum announcements moving forward. I will follow your instructions to move to the testing channel to get 5.0.13.0 and then move back to the stable channel and await 5.0.14-0 (RC9) release.
I am currently running on 24TB of drive pool and working GREAT!

3 Likes

Just a quick update regarding:

This has now been accomplished, and we now have a shiny & signed, but alas still empty, Stable updates repo for our 15.6 based installs, i.e those experiencing the main issue reported in this thread, missing repo, should no longer experience this same error of “Valid metaqdata not found at specified URL

As indicated earlier in this thread, we are looking at having already published our last significant code changes (before Stable channel spin-off) for the `rockstor’ rpm as of 5.0.14-0 in the testing channel:

We have some minor cosmetic/maintenance issues remaining in the current Milestone but they are not significant code wise: or if they end up that way they will be shunted to the next testing phase anyway.

Hope that helps, at least by way of some recent development context.

3 Likes