No Web-UI after reboot 3.9.2-46

We may have a few systems affected by this rough rpm released just now…

Essentially the update works as intended and all is then functional. But upon reboot there is no Web-UI.

Fix, as root user in console:

yum install python-distro

Cause:
A missing new dependency on a just released 3.9.2-46 rpm.

• If you system has yet to reboot then just execute the command and all should be well.
  • If you have run into this after a reboot then execute the command (y to prompt) and then reboot.

Command to reboot:

reboot

Sorry folks.

We are working on improving the release methods / tools as this occurred Ironically :flushed:

To confirm you are affected by this if you have a failed Web-UI after reboot:

systemctl status rockstor-pre.service

would contain the following:

rockstor-pre.service - Tasks required prior to starting Rockstor
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/rockstor-pre.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2019-02-03 13:51:27 PST; 3min 45s ago
  Process: 4855 ExecStart=/opt/rockstor/bin/initrock (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 4855 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod initrock[4855]: sys.exit(scripts.initrock.main())
Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod initrock[4855]: File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/scripts/initrock.py", line 402, in main
Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod initrock[4855]: fake_initial_migration_cmd + ['--database=default', 'contenttypes'])
Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod initrock[4855]: File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 121, in run_command
Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod initrock[4855]: raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod initrock[4855]: system.exceptions.CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /opt/roc... "    
Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod systemd[1]: rockstor-pre.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod systemd[1]: Failed to start Tasks required prior to starting Rockstor.
Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod systemd[1]: Unit rockstor-pre.service entered failed state.
Feb 03 13:51:27 rockprod systemd[1]: rockstor-pre.service failed.

Please note that this issue does not affect the now released 3.9.2-47 as this rpm includes the required dependency.

Thanks to @suman for resolving this issue quickly.

1 Like

@phillxnet, is it possible to get a release done on the github repo so that we can see what changes were in these releases (I know 3.9.2-47 was really just a dependency included)?

@vesper1978 Thanks for the interest.

I’m not quite ready to make those changes in the repo just yet as I’m still ‘stepping up’ to take on / help out with some of these duties (and don’t want to step on toes) but I’m about to start a new forum thread such as we use to have that explains in less GitHub pull request techno speak how each release differs from the last. And as it goes 3.9.2-47 was used to merge more pending code improvements so I’ll detail in my proposed thread. We’ve had a little hick-up of late in the versions numbers and their git/GitHub tag/Release counterparts so I can document that also. We can bring these back in line as we go on; or as the repo is retro tagged / GitHub Released.

Hope that helps.

@phillxnet At the top you mentioned to just type

When I do that from my machine i get the following:

[root@hq-nas01 ~]# yum install python-distro
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Rockstor-Stable | 2.9 kB 00:00:00
rockstor | 2.9 kB 00:00:00
No package python-distro available.
Error: Nothing to do
[root@hq-nas01 ~]# yum info python-distro
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Error: No matching Packages to list
[root@hq-nas01 ~]#

I was running 3.9.2-44 and just updated to 3.9.2-46 without issue. I am trying to get to 3.9.2-48 and not able to.

Thank you for putting up with me. I finally traced down my issue that the epel repo was not connected to the RockStor even thought I installed it. Once I forced the link the update is installing.

Thank you

@kparr Thanks for the update and well done on tracking this down.

Strange that the epel repo wasn’t installed / enabled already as it’s usually default on a Rockstor install.

Thanks for sharing your findings re this odd one and glade your now sorted.