Problems since update to 3.8.16-16 from 3.8.16-4

Just updated last night using the GUI, and got a kernel panic on restart. Tried again, another panic. Used the boot menu to back up one kernel, didn’t boot, so back to latest kernel and it booted. Got a series of errors
Systemd-tmpfiles[2997]Failed to open ‘/etc/tmpfiles.d/nut-run.conf’ ignoring no such file or directory
got that twice second one had [3321]
then got 4
Systemctl[10869]: Unit nslcd.service could not be found.
different [######] on each line
then 1
systemd[1]: Failed to start Crash recovery kernel arming
then back to the nslcd.service errors.
I turned off the nut-ups service I had running and my openVPN rockon won’t start.

shutting down nut-ups did not stop the nslcd errors.

I did some searching on the nslcd.service and found it’s connected to LDAP, but I don’t understand the connection here.
Any help greatly appreciated. Do I need to shut things down so I don’t fill up a disk with error logs?

Update: I was looking through the rockstor screens and noticed on the network page that both my ethernet interfaces and my teamed-network were all on after the reboot. Typically the eth are off and the teamed it on. I shut off the 2 eth interfaces and the endless nslcd errors appear to have stopped.
I ran a yum update rockstor and everything came back up to date
I ran a yum update
and it want to update
python x86_64 2.7.5-48.el7 base 90 k
python-libs x86_64 2.7.5-48.el7 base 5.6 M
I viewed all of this on a directly connected screen, the Rockstor GUI is working fine as far as I can tell.
Again, greatly appreciate any help.

@D_Jones Hello.
Just chipping in on the NUT bit:

I think this is a red herring with regard to your other report details as Rockstor’s NUT version and/or CentOS 7 systemd versions currently has a bug concerning the systemd-tmpfiles, I believe a fix for this is released in later versions however I don’t think it affects basic NUT operation and seem to remember coming across this way back when doing the NUT stuff.
Although our 2.7.2-3.el7 version is meant to have addressed it:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1187286

I.e. I have the same report here:

Mar  7 19:07:13 cube systemd-tmpfiles[2500]: Failed to open '/etc/tmpfiles.d/nut-run.conf', ignoring: No such file or directory
Mar  7 19:07:13 cube sm-notify[2503]: Version 1.3.0 starting
Mar  7 19:07:13 cube postgresql-check-db-dir: Executing: /usr/bin/postgresql-check-db-dir /var/lib/pgsql/data
Mar  7 19:07:13 cube upsmon: fopen /var/run/nut/upsmon.pid: No such file or directory
Mar  7 19:07:13 cube upsmon: Using power down flag file /etc/ups/killpower
Mar  7 19:07:13 cube upsmon: UPS: ups@OpenWrt (slave) (power value 1)

And it is also present in @alexey’s NUT report here on the forum:
[SOLVED] Failed to start NUT-UPS service due to a system error
and @AngeleToR’s NUT report here:
[SOLVED] UPS service fails to start
Though in both cases and mine I believe, it was due to other issues blocking the NUT startup, ie incorrect configuration or in my case my system was on another network so couldn’t reach its’s UPS.

So hence no direct connection between NUT and LDAP.

I see from your post update that you have made some progress re finding network configuration changes. This may also point to why the openVPN rockon wouldn’t start and possibly the NUT and LDAP if your nut config is network related.

Sorry not more help here.

@phillxnet Thanks for the reply. The UPS is directly connected via USB. So based on your reply, I can ignore that error, it’s not unusual, and doesn’t effect functionality.

Unfortunately, fixing the network configuration did not fix the Rockons problem. I have 2 (OpenVPN, and ZoneMinder) that both were running before update and now neither will start even though Rockons service is running. Tried shutting down and restarting service with no luck. Toggled docker network connection on and off, also no change, still can’t start either rockon. In you opinion should I accept the python update I get from the yum update command?
Thanks for the help,
Del

@D_Jones I would accept the python update as we haven’t seen any issues with it, also we do have an issue after each update with docker / Rockons which normally requires a reboot for them to function as expected. I think this may have been eased with the latest update but it’s worth a full reboot to check for this. Also docker itself was recently updated in testing channle updates version 3.8.16-15:

and the other docker related change came in:

So I’d apply the updates and then do a full reboot and see how you go, given those recent changes things should be smoother going forward.

Hope that helps.

@phillxnet thanks again for the help. I updated python and rebooted with a shutdown -r. System came back up with the network connections in the proper configuration, and I toggled NUT-UPS back on, but still no joy on the RockOns. Here’s the rockstor logs after the reboot, in case it provides any insight. I’m not worried about the emby server, I didn’t have that one running correctly yet before the upgrade. Also, all the work you and others have put in is obvious. The system feels much quicker with the most recent updates. I wish I could do more to help.

[14/Mar/2017 11:47:19] DEBUG [storageadmin.views.command:161] Bootstrap operations completed
[14/Mar/2017 11:47:57] ERROR [storageadmin.views.network:81] Unknown ctype: bridge config: {}
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:37] INFO [smart_manager.views.nut_service:41] NUT-UPS toggled
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:41] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} embyserver. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: embyserver’, ‘’]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_utils.py”, line 31, in container_status
’{{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }}’, name]) # noqa E501
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 110, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} embyserver. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: embyserver’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:41] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} zoneminder. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: zoneminder’, ‘’]
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_utils.py”, line 31, in container_status
’{{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }}’, name]) # noqa E501
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} zoneminder. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: zoneminder’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:41] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} openvpn. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: openvpn’, ‘’]
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} openvpn. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: openvpn’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:42] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} embyserver. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: embyserver’, ‘’]
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} embyserver. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: embyserver’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:42] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} zoneminder. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: zoneminder’, ‘’]
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} zoneminder. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: zoneminder’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:42] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} openvpn. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: openvpn’, ‘’]
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} openvpn. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: openvpn’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:47] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} embyserver. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: embyserver’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:47] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} zoneminder. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: zoneminder’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:47] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:78] Exception while starting the rockon(OpenVPN)
[14/Mar/2017 11:48:47] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:79] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker start ovpn-data. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘Error response from daemon: No such container: ovpn-data’, ‘Error: failed to start containers: ovpn-data’, ‘’]
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py”, line 76, in generic_start
run_command([DOCKER, ‘start’, c.name])
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker start ovpn-data. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘Error response from daemon: No such container: ovpn-data’, ‘Error: failed to start containers: ovpn-data’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:02] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} embyserver. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: embyserver’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:02] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} zoneminder. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: zoneminder’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:02] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} openvpn. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: openvpn’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:10] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:78] Exception while starting the rockon(ZoneMinder)
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:10] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:79] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker start zoneminder. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘Error response from daemon: No such container: zoneminder’, ‘Error: failed to start containers: zoneminder’, ‘’]
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py”, line 76, in generic_start
run_command([DOCKER, ‘start’, c.name])
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker start zoneminder. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘Error response from daemon: No such container: zoneminder’, ‘Error: failed to start containers: zoneminder’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:10] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} embyserver. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: embyserver’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:10] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} openvpn. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: openvpn’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:25] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} embyserver. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: embyserver’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:25] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} zoneminder. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: zoneminder’, ‘’]
[14/Mar/2017 11:49:25] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_utils:49] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/docker inspect -f {{range $key, $value := .State}}{{$key}}:{{$value}},{{ end }} openvpn. rc = 1. stdout = [’’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: No such object: openvpn’, ‘’]