Recovering root password

I havent used my NAS box in months and i have completely forgotten my root password. I have followed the instructions here
http://rockstor.com/docs/reset-root-password.html

however when i go into the recovery option, it begins to load but then says
132.789787678 dracut-initqueue[570]: warning: dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts
133.789787678 dracut-initqueue[570]: warning: dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts
134.789787678 dracut-initqueue[570]: warning: dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts
135.789787678 dracut-initqueue[570]: warning: dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts

etc etc.

until it gets to
warning: /dev/root does not exist
generating “/run/initramfs/rdsoreport.txt”

Please help me! Ive searched around and im getting something about the rescue not being able to find the HDD? Im not sure how that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jake

@jakeyg A very belated welcome to the Rockstor community.

I can chip in on this one.

The problem is that when booting to the recovery it attempts to mount the root by label and there is a bug were that label is down as:
"Rockstor 3.0 x86_64"
but the actual install media has the following label:
“Rockstor 3 x86_64”

Answer:
You need to correct the “inst.stage2=” boot parameter used by the “Rescue a Rockstor system” option to the corrected label, ie the normal parameter, viewed and set via the TAB key after first highlighting the “Rescue a Rockstor system” option is:

inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Rockstor\x203.0\x20x86_64

and where “x20” = a space translates to "Rockstor 3.0 x86_64"
so to use the correct label for at least the 3.9.1 iso we change the above inst.stage2 to read as follows:

inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Rockstor\x203\x20x86_64

ie we remove the “.0” after the “3” and press the enter key.

The rescue system will then boot as expected.

You enquiry has prompted me to make the following issue which details the issue and it’s resolution:

This anomaly is indicated towards the beginning of the suggested file “/run/initramfs/rdsoreport.txt” which can be viewed via:

less /run/initramfs/rdsoreport.txt

which gives a list of all devices identified by the system, ie their by-id, plain canonical (ie dev/sdb) names, and their uuid where available. There it indicates the found volume of the system disk which differs from that baked into our iso.

If needed you could also specify the device via it’s canonical name ie in the case of sdb1 being the install media you could use:

inst.stage2=hd:sdb1 

Info on the formats supported by this option are available at:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/installation_guide/chap-anaconda-boot-options#list-boot-options-sources
under the subsection “inst.stage2=”

Hope that helps.