Unable to upgrade to Rockstor 3.9.2-48

I am currently running RockStor 3.9.2.-44 and would like to get to -48 in order to verify stability before I upgrade another RockStor from 3.9.1-16.

When I go through the Web Interface it just shows it counting down and then disappears while showing that the version is still the same and to upgrade.

From a command line as root I do see that there is an error found which I am not 100% sure how to proceed as I do not want to break anything.

[root@hq-nas01 ~]# yum update rockstor
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Rockstor-Stable | 2.9 kB 00:00:00
rockstor | 2.9 kB 00:00:00
Resolving Dependencies
–> Running transaction check
—> Package rockstor.x86_64 0:3.9.2-44 will be updated
—> Package rockstor.x86_64 0:3.9.2-48 will be an update
–> Processing Dependency: python-distro for package: rockstor-3.9.2-48.x86_64
–> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: rockstor-3.9.2-48.x86_64 (Rockstor-Stable)
Requires: python-distro
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
** Found 1 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), ‘yum check’ output follows:
docker-engine-selinux-1.13.1-1.el7.centos.noarch has installed conflicts docker-selinux: 2:container-selinux-2.55-1.el7.noarch

other additional information.

[root@hq-nas01 ~]# yum info rockstor
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Installed Packages
Name : rockstor
Arch : x86_64
Version : 3.9.2
Release : 44
Size : 79 M
Repo : installed
From repo : Rockstor-Stable
Summary : RockStor – Store Smartly
License : GPL
Description : RockStor – Store Smartly

Available Packages
Name : rockstor
Arch : x86_64
Version : 3.9.2
Release : 48
Size : 17 M
Repo : Rockstor-Stable
Summary : RockStor – Store Smartly
License : GPL
Description : RockStor – Store Smartly

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Ken

The problem was traced down to epel repo not being available during the install. Tried to install it and it would not take. I finally just had to configure it in the /etc/yum.repo.d directory. Once I did this the updated worked. I hope this helps some else in the future.

2 Likes

Is there a description somewhere on how to upgrade from 3.9.1-16 testing to 3.9.2-44 testing?

The only posts I have found is that one should read the docs, but there is no manual on how to proceed.

I am stuck on this very old version and I am keen on upgrading and testing. If this is not possible I’d rather switch to Ubuntu server without GUI, since I am more familiar with Ubuntu.

Hello @Christian_Rost,

3.9.1-16 is the current testing version. 3.9.2 is the stable branch. With the rebase to OpenSUSE, I believe that 3.9.1-16 is the last testing version until the rebase to OpenSUSE is complete. @phillxnet can provide further clarification on this.

1 Like

is that mean if we want to use 3.9.2-x,we should purchase a stable update key?@phillxnet

@iecs Hello again. Re:

No. Rockstor is open source GPLv2 and later licenced and as such is fully open source. As such you can compile it from source as per our developer documentation:

Contributing to Rockstor - Overview and more specifically the latter section of:

Developers

But given we are very far along the path to rebasing on openSUSE you might be better advised to follow the developer orientated docs in the following forum Wiki entry:

But note that all settings will be deleted upon each fresh build as we make numerous database changes that can only be managed via the release service as a development build is treated as an unknown version in all cases.

However if you are more interested in our rpm ‘service’ then that is currently only available via our Stable channel subscription which is our attempt at achieving sustainability as an open sourced project. This is explained in more details in our following recently updated doc entry:

Update Channels

Where it states our desire to bring back the developer favourite of the testing channel but only for our new target distro of openSUSE. This effort is very much underway and if you keep an eye on the forum you may soon see how you can get started as a tester via this channel. but it is not treated as a production release and will have many breakages as that is it’s intended purpose: to weed out the bugs. But be warned that we are not yet near feature parity and until we are the CentOS Stable channel is the preferred ‘mostly working’ offering. But I have every intention of pushing our openSUSE releases to match our CentOS offerings as soon as possible. Their after we will ‘curate’ a Stable channel much as we do now but for openSUSE only then.

Hope that helps to explain our current and near future plans.

2 Likes

thanks for the detailed reply, i got it