Update to Leap 15.6 & Rockstor 5.0.14-0 feedback

Hi guys, following my recent update briefly mentioned on a different topic, I decided to start a separate thread focus only on the update issues.

TLDR: run systemctl start rockstor-pre rockstor-bootstrap rockstor if your Rockstor web GUI is not coming up and/or if your shares are not mounting.

Issue number 1 is that the Rockstor service fails to start on boot. This seems to be most likely due to my non-default setup, as per the nmcli device output below.

Starting the Rockstor manually via systemctl start rockstor brings up the web GUI.

However, this brings up issue number 2 which is that none of the shares were mounting. I eventually landed on another forum post with a similar issue, from which I understood that we need to have 3 services running: rockstor-pre, rockstor-bootstrap and rockstor. Now that I’ve run systemctl start rockstor-pre rockstor-bootstrap rockstor, everything seems fine.

2 Likes

Hi @unguul

regarding network interfaces I also had issue with Rockstor 5.0.14 built on Leap 15.6 not starting after boot.

The service NetworkManager-wait-online.service is now a hard dependency for Rockstor, but was not in earlier versions. Therefore, if this service has already failed before the update, you would not have noticed that - but with the latest Rockstor update the a failing NetworkManager-wait-online.service would prohibit Rockstor from starting.

To quickly check if your issue is potentially related, could you please post the status of this service by typing:

systemctl status NetworkManager-wait-online.service

In case the output says “failed”, try starting this service manually once the system is booted up, to check whether a bigger startup-timeout would solve the issue for you.

sudo systemctl start NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Cheers
Simon

2 Likes

I think you’re right about the startup-timeout because I’ve seen timeouts on boot due to the network that eventually resolve themselves: i.e. the network seems fine.

Looking at journalctl for NetworkManager I’m also seeing an error in regard to creating my bridge. I think this might be a “me problem” rather than a Rockstor problem. I’ll investigate this further as soon as I find the time.

3 Likes

At least from the screenshot it looks like the NetworkManager-wait-online service has started successful …

When you know that some service is failing to start, then try to get the logs from this service and maybe try to start it manually.

There is only one service that is “expected to fail” on Rockstor (due to compatibility reasons): dmraid-activation.service - so ignore errors regarding this particular, or disable it manually.

2 Likes