1 missing disk after a year and a half. Time for some upgrade help

Hello all, Happy to be here, thanks for looking and I hope this find you and yours well. Rockstor has worked well enough for me so far, despite my lack of knowledge regarding the software. I have come to my first failure.
I was able to get it mounted once with the adding degraded,ro to the extra mount options but now has not worked the last couple times I booted it trying to get more info for this post. I will need help figuring out how to locate the error-ing disk for replacement but first I need a replacement. So that leads me to my explanation of why I am leaning toward option #1.

#1 I need more space, they have a 2.5million hr mttf, at $144 one a year or so is not crazy and did I mention the space? I would do the whole make it act like it’s just a 8TB drive like the rest but in 4 months all 8 would be option #1.

#2 is a way to go, designed for nas, solid mttf, not used, I have space in my case for 4 more drives and my SAS card has 4 more connections so I can get more space. #2 cost slows the upgrade and over all the space increase is minimal with only 4 more addable.

Outside of all that, I need to know how will the system handle? usage is a $#!T ton of pron! JK
It’s my whole movie collection, lots for 4K and lots more Blu-ray.

P.S. I chose Raid6 because I want a lil’parity but Space! If it crashes and burns it just means a few months of ripping, again, Freenas… Anyway thanks again for looking and now the current stats and upgrade options with links. Cheers!

Current Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 AMD 760G USB 3.1 HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard
Current CPU: AMD CPU FX Series FX-4100 Quad Core CPU 3.6GHz Socket AM3+
Current Memory: Team Group TED38G1600C11BK 32GB 8GB x 4 DDR3 1600mhz Kit
Power Supply: Unable to locate purchase online. EVGA 500W
System drive: Kingston data Travler DT50 16GB
Storage drives: Seagate Barracuda Compute Model# ST8000DM004 8TB 5400rpm x 8
Case: GIGABYTE 3D AURORA GZ-FSCA1-ANB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Rockstor Setup: Linux: 6.5.1-lp154.2.gc181e32-default Opted for Raid 6 I have not chosen an update path but I have started a stable updates sub to support the cause.

In order of current prefrence.

Upgrade consideration # 1: WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5-inch Enterprise HDD - WUH721414ALE6L4 (Renewed)

Upgrade Consideration # 2: Seagate IronWolf 8TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache (ST8000VNZ04/N004)

@ScottPSilver welcome to the Rockstor community.

I’d be remiss not to mention @GeoffA’s mantra of having good backups, as a NAS is (by itself) not a backup system (but of course that’s a budget/risk thing, too). So, aside from all of the above, consider to also have another backup of what you have on Rockstor, so you don’t end up with …

With that out of the way …

I personally would go with the larger “renewed” version of your HDD. Part of the risk offset is supposedly the fact that one has RAIDs set up, but then also see comment above re: backups :slight_smile:

There was an interesting discussion around RAID levels a few years ago you might be interested in reading. Some things have changed in the meantime obviously:

rebalancing is still not substantially faster on RAID5/6 as far as I know, though the btrfs devs keep working on it.

1 Like

Raid5 was more stable than raid6 on my tests. There are more advantages to BTRFS as you will have more usable storage, you can mix and match hdd’s or even upgrade your pool one by one. I’ve been migrating a lot to zfs as the development is very active nowadays and since the BSD merged with Linux is a nice touch as all of the goodies were on BSD :slight_smile: there is a accepted PR on zfs (hopefully this year will be released) where you can increase your pool with 1hdd at a time on zfs as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
As far as the back up’s that is the disks. Only time they come out of the box is to be ripped and that has been a total of 2 times for 3/4 of them and once for the rest. I do keep data I don’t want to lose there for the purpose of accessing it with other PC’s but that data Is on 3 other attached storage drives and is kept on a fourth offline spiny dd. So critical data is BACKED up. Now with that said I wouldn’t mind finding out if there is a media that lasts longer then a disk with it’s disk rot and de-lamination, ECT… Maybe a tape drive or something???

1 Like

LOL, they have had 10 or so of the 14TB disks for a couple weeks. I post here with a link and now there are 3. ROTFLMAO. Perhaps coincidence but still funny.

1 Like