127.0.0.1? Really? Can't access web UI, CLI only

New here and new to Rockstor.

My install seems to have worked but it points me to the localhost IP address for the web-ui. I’ve scanned my network IP addresses using ping and arp -a from another computer but I am not seeing anything for my Rockstor box.

I’m using an onboard ethernet port on an ASUS motherboard and connected directly into my modem/router. I am able to access the CLI but don’t know what, if anything, I should be typing in to try to get an IP on my actual network.

Did I mess up the install? Do I have a possible hardware conflict with the ethernet port? Port blocking is not on the modem.

@Nevermind Welcome to the Rockstor community.

You shouldn’t need to do anything, assuming you have working DHCP in your router and stuck with that, as the default, within the installer.

Not sure what’s happened here, however the 127.0.0.1 is always displayed (in later versions of Rockstor anyway), it’s just that another ip is also expected in that terminal message.

console-message

Pretty sure it simply prints all ip’s of all interfaces, which would suggest that either the message has not yet updated, ie ‘Carriage Return’ key to invoke a re-print of the console text or the system had not yet completed it’s first boot after install initialisation (which on slow hardware can take a few minutes, ie 2-4). Another possibility here is that the kernel has failed to correctly detect/initialise your network card. We have seen that with some hardware, but rarely.

We use the unaltered elrepo kernel-ml (mainline) kernel so there is nothing Rockstor specific with regard to drivers.

Did you stick with the default DHCP allocation during install, I know that we have had some issue with customisation within the install not being well received by Rockstor’s own initialisatin but they have mostly been down to custom partitioning? We pretty much assume a default install and then, upon first login, take it from there. That is Rockstor has it’s own network configuration section: ‘under the hood’ Rockstor just uses nmcli commands.

[root@r2test ~]# nmcli 
docker0: connected to docker0
	bridge, 02:42:95:8E:2C:1D, sw, mtu 1500
	inet4 172.17.0.1/16

eth0: connected to eth0
	"Red Hat Virtio network device"
	ethernet (virtio_net), 52:54:00:01:4E:33, hw, mtu 1500
	ip4 default
	inet4 192.168.122.21/24
	inet6 fe80::5054:ff:fe01:4e33/64

lo: unmanaged
	loopback (unknown), 00:00:00:00:00:00, sw, mtu 65536

Use "nmcli device show" to get complete information about known devices and
"nmcli connection show" to get an overview on active connection profiles.

Consult nmcli(1) and nmcli-examples(5) manual pages for complete usage details.

You could see if your network hardware is showing up in the list of pci devcies, as is usual for built in network adapters:

lspci

pasting the output of that command here may help to shed light on the problem. Assuming it wasn’t just a timings issue on the console message / Rockstor initialisation front.

Possible but unlikely. I have seen built in and add-on ethernet adaptor conflicts but they usually revolve around which is first to initialise and you make no mention of multiple ethernet adaptors.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I was able to fix the issue with a reinstall. I did my first install unplugged from the network so all the system found was the localhost. This persisted even after I moved the machine and plugged it into the network.

This morning I did a fresh install with the ethernet plugged in and everything is looking good.

1 Like

@Nevermind

Are yes, silly me: we do have the following in the Minimum system requirements of the Quick start section of the Docs but it still has a little ambiguity there:

Ethernet interface (with internet access – for updates)

I’ll try and improve this when next on a docs stint.

Glad you sorted it.

1 Like