Boot and Upgrade Error. 3.8.12 > 3.8.15.12

Hi everyone,

I’m dealing with a couple of errors on my data server. I recently upgraded from 3.8.12 to the latest dev release 3.8.15.12 and I’ve seen a few weird things since then. First off, I’ve been having an intermittent boot issue with my server. I believe the issue was present on 3.8.12, but I wasn’t able to get any boot error message that I could save.
On 3.8.15, I’m getting this error approximately every other time I boot the server. The error states: " BERT: Can’t request iomem region <00000000dda56e18-00000000dda56e>"
Following this, the boot falls apart and essentially stalls and crashes. I’ve taken a couple of screenshots and included them as well.
Imgur Screenshots of both errors.
After the boot fails, I can reboot, and it seems to successfully boot into the os.

Once the OS loads, the second error manifests itself and the Webui starts to have errors.
I’ve attached screenshots of this as well. The text reads

“relation storageadmin_networkdevice” does not exist LINE 1: …“state”, “storageadmin_networkdevice”.“mtu” FROM "storagead… ^

And the rest of the text is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 40, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/network.py”, line 174, in get_queryset
self._refresh_devices()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/utils/decorators.py”, line 145, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/network.py”, line 154, in _refresh_devices
for ndo in NetworkDevice.objects.all():
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/query.py”, line 162, in iter
self._fetch_all()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/query.py”, line 965, in _fetch_all
self._result_cache = list(self.iterator())
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/query.py”, line 238, in iterator
results = compiler.execute_sql()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py”, line 840, in execute_sql
cursor.execute(sql, params)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/backends/utils.py”, line 64, in execute
return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/utils.py”, line 98, in exit
six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/backends/utils.py”, line 64, in execute
return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
ProgrammingError: relation “storageadmin_networkdevice” does not exist
LINE 1: …“state”, “storageadmin_networkdevice”.“mtu” FROM "storagead…
^
Other miscellaneous errors are issues with my samba share not working with windows, even though the knob says that samba is turned on. I’ve also grabbed a full set of logs that I’ll attach as well. Actually, I wasn’t able to upload the logs, so I’ll share a google drive link instead.
Rockstor Full Logs

My system specs are as follows:
Mobo: Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O
CPU: Intel Core i3-4150
Memory: Crucial 8GB DDR3L 1600 ECC
Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 128GB

I hope this helps and provides some assistance. I have some linux experience and I’m happy to try things and gather additional logs as needed. I’m also fine with upgrading to 3.8.15-13 but I didn’t want to upgrade if I would break things further. Thanks everyone!
Lightsword

Hi @Lightsword,

A direct update from 3.8.12 to 3.8.15-12 is not recommended and the errors you reported are expected. Try a new install of 3.8.15 followed by importing your data back. Or you could also use yum to downgrade to 3.8.15-10, make sure everything works properly and then upgrade to the latest. That should work.

Your OS and boot errors on the other hand, are not Rockstor related so I can’t provide and expertise there. Sorry.

HI @suman

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :slight_smile: I really appreciate it. How would I use Yum to downgrade to 3.8.15-10? If that fails I can always do a config backup, install and restore as well. I was curious about the boot errors since they seem to happen every other boot/reboot with lots of consistency. I guess it’s time for me to dig back into the hardware and try to troubleshoot there then lol. Thanks for your advice and for getting back to me so quickly. I hope you have a great weekend!

Lightsword

Hi @suman ,
I’ve got another error and I wanted to see if you could provide any suggestion. I attempted to perform a Rockstor downgrade from the command line in Yum and it’s failing with the error that no package 3.8.15-10 is available. I’ll include the full output of my error message below. Thanks!

yum downgrade rockstor 3.8.15-10
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Rockstor-Testing | 2.9 kB 00:00:00
rockstor | 2.9 kB 00:00:00
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

Dependencies Resolved

=====================================================================================================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size

Downgrading:
rockstor x86_64 3.8.15-11 Rockstor-Testing 14 M

Transaction Summary

Downgrade 1 Package

Total size: 14 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]:

Hello,
I have similar problem. However I cannot get over the error msg. Every time I reboot system to 4.8.7-1, I get this BERT: Cant request iomem region msg, which I cannot bypass (or I dont know how).

Please could you help me?

Pumadace