Boot error (file missing)

Hi,

I get the following error when I try to start the system recently (HP N54L; 60GB SSD as startdisk, 3x5TB HDD as ~“RAID5”):

error: file ‘/initramfs-4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.img’ not found

Sometimes I can fix it by rebooting a couple of times when I get the option to boot the 4.10.x kernel, but after a reboot its the same again- how to fix this?

(You are running an unsupported kernel(4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64). Some features may not work properly. Please reboot and the system will automatically boot using the supported kernel(4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64))

Thank you
br,

Klaus (I still have stable subscription)

@rockstoruser77github Hello again.

I would suggest that you try our much newer Rockstor 4 offering. Unfortunately we don’t yet have a pre-build installer but you can build your own by following the instruction here:

See the following forum thread that introduced this DIY installer:

As this new, now at release candidate version of Rockstor is ‘Built on openSUSE’, Leap 15.2 currently, it has a far newer kernel and so is more likely to have better hardware compatibility. It would be interesting to know if it work on this hardware as we have had a number of forum posts over the years concerning the N54L.

It may be, if I’m assuming correctly that this setup has worked reliably for your previously, that your system disk is just on it’s way out. And that the 4.12 kernel is occupying a part that is failing.

You can use your Stable subscription on this new variant just fine. We just have a place holder of 4.0.4 for now in the Stable channel and will release proper on stable once we think it’s ready for that channel. This will likely be fairly soon hopefully.

Hope that helps.

1 Like