Cannot Add Disks - VMWare Workstation Demo Environment

I added 4 additional disks to my test Rockstor instance and the drives are never detected. I get this error instead:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 40, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 272, in post
return self._update_disk_state()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/utils/decorators.py”, line 145, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 218, in _update_disk_state
p.uuid = btrfs_uuid(dob.name)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 985, in btrfs_uuid
[BTRFS, ‘filesystem’, ‘show’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/%s’ % disk])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 109, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = [’/sbin/btrfs’, ‘filesystem’, ‘show’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/sda3’]. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem: /dev/disk/by-id/sda3’, ‘’]

I’ve updated the underlying OS with no change in the error. I’m not sure what else to do at this point as Rockstor and BTRFS is still a little new to me.

Found the solution in another thread. You have to add this to your VMX file when using VMware Workstation 12.5:

disk.EnableUUID=“true”

1. Shutdown your Rockstor NAS instance.
  2. find and edit the VMX file with Notepad or Notepad++
  3. Scroll to the very end of the file and paste the above line into the file.
  4. Save the VMX file.
  5. Start your Rockstor NAS instance. You should now see the drives you added when setting up your VM.

@Bill_Kindle Welcome to Rockstor.

From you other post I see that you have now found the solution, so that’s good. We do have an issue open to add this to our minimum specifications doc:

And the behaviour when the system drive has no serial is much worse as you have seen. There are pending changes that should make addressing the system drive’s lack of serial easier to deal with.

Thanks for posting your fix process by the way.

Most helpful.

Glad your up and running now.