Can't update, throws error

When I attempt an update, the web ui throws the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/command.py", line 188, in post
    return Response(update_check(subscription=subo))
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/pkg_mgmt.py", line 163, in update_check
    o, e, rc = run_command([YUM, 'changelog', date, pkg])
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 110, in run_command
    raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/yum changelog 2017-Mar-18 rockstor. rc = 1. stdout = ['Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror', '']. stderr = ['Traceback (most recent call last):', '  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in <module>', '    yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)', '  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 370, in user_main', '    errcode = main(args)', '  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 179, in main', '    result, resultmsgs = base.doCommands()', '  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 573, in doCommands', '    return self.yum_cli_commands[self.basecmd].doCommand(self, self.basecmd, self.extcmds)', '  File "/usr/lib/yum-plugins/changelog.py", line 215, in doCommand', "    if self._since_dto == dateutil_parser.parse('garbage', fuzzy=True):", '  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dateutil/parser.py", line 1168, in parse', '    return DEFAULTPARSER.parse(timestr, **kwargs)', '  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dateutil/parser.py", line 562, in parse', '    raise ValueError("String does not contain a date.")', 'ValueError: String does not contain a date.', '']

Things I tried already:
yum clean all && yum update described here: Unable to check update due to a system error: Error running a command. cmd - #20 by Tomasz_Kusmierz

From your terminal type: "yum downgrade rockstor"
Capture the output of the above command just in case. But presuming it succeeds, your system will be downgraded to Rockstor 3.8.16-1
Now run "yum update"
Above command will bring your system back to 3.9.0
Restart rockstor service with "systemctl restart rockstor"
Verify that the problem has gone away in the UI.

described here: Error update 3.9.0.0 - #3 by 12Matze21

@coleberhorst Hello again.

I just updated a system from 3.9.0-7 to 3.9.0-8 and no issues so I’m not able to reproduce this. What version of Rockstor are you attempting to upgrade from and are you on the stable or testing channel updates?

I have a stable updates subscription. Here’s the output of docker info and yum info rockstor:

[root@warehouse13 ~]# docker info
Containers: 10
Server Version: 1.9.1
Storage Driver: btrfs
 Build Version: Btrfs v3.16.2
 Library Version: 101
Execution Driver: native-0.2
Logging Driver: journald
Kernel Version: 4.8.7-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64
Operating System: Rockstor 3 (Core)
CPUs: 8
Total Memory: 15.58 GiB
Name: warehouse13
ID: 2D3C:YLLY:LSZK:PIBS:47DR:5UU7:WX5X:BEB5:VG4H:MEE3:ITFQ:BAON
WARNING: bridge-nf-call-iptables is disabled
WARNING: bridge-nf-call-ip6tables is disabled
[root@warehouse13 ~]# yum info rockstor
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: ftp.osuosl.org
 * epel: ftp.osuosl.org
 * extras: repo1.ash.innoscale.net
 * nux-dextop: mirror.li.nux.ro
 * updates: mirror.linux.duke.edu
Installed Packages
Name        : rockstor
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 3.9.0
Release     : 0
Size        : 81 M
Repo        : installed
From repo   : Rockstor-Stable
Summary     : RockStor -- Store Smartly
License     : GPL
Description : RockStor -- Store Smartly

I guess the WARNING: bridge-nf-call-iptables is disabled and WARNING: bridge-nf-call-ip6tables is disabled could be a problem. Though unsure.

Additionally the webui part where the version is is blank in the top right of the header in the home page. I can’t tell what version of 3.9.0 I am on, but I do not have the latest version of rockons added a few weeks ago to rockon-registry so I could be behind a version.

@coleberhorst

No that’s a red herring.

But of note is that currently 3.9.0 is the latest stable release. Testing channel updates is currently moving towards the 3.9.1 release see Dev log for 3.9.1.

Of interest here is that you have no Rockstor version number displayed. That can take a little while to appear but should show up after a few minutes.

Rockon-registry additions are independent of Rockstor updates, you should get them directly after pressing the Update button on the Rock-ons page. Given this and your original report it seems like you may have an internet connectivity issue as that error seemed to suggest it couldn’t retrieve info on change log. And if you are also unable to retrieve Rock-on updates we have a theme. See if there are any tell tail signs with the System - Logs Manager - Rockstor Logs.

Yes there appears to be network problems. I’m running the pihole docker but have been running it for weeks without any issues like this. When I opened the network page of the UI, there were two ethernet devices, one of which was off. I deleted it and restarted twice which fixed a temporary issue I had had with utorrent not downloading. There is another device for dockers (docker0).

On the logs front here is what looks like a relevant portion of the system log after I requested an update check:

Here is from what I think is a restart. The bridge config unknown is kind of weird and I have to restart the system twice to get access to the webui:

[13/Jun/2017 07:29:49] ERROR [storageadmin.views.network:81] Unknown ctype: bridge config: {}
[13/Jun/2017 07:30:49] ERROR [storageadmin.views.network:81] Unknown ctype: bridge config: {}
[13/Jun/2017 07:30:58] ERROR [storageadmin.views.network:81] Unknown ctype: bridge config: {}
[13/Jun/2017 07:31:05] ERROR [storageadmin.views.network:81] Unknown ctype: bridge config: {}
[13/Jun/2017 07:42:33] DEBUG [storageadmin.views.command:161] Bootstrap operations completed

Definitely appears to be timeout / network issues as when I try to update the rockon definitions:

[13/Jun/2017 08:03:21] ERROR [storageadmin.util:40] Error while processing Rock-on profile at http://rockstor.com/rockons/NZBHydra.json. Lower level exception: timed out

What looks like a repeat of the error displayed by the webui:

[13/Jun/2017 08:11:44] ERROR [storageadmin.util:44] exception: Unable to check update due to a system error: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/yum changelog 2017-Mar-18 rockstor. rc = 1. stdout = ['Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror', '']. stderr = ['Traceback (most recent call last):', '  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ', '    yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)', '  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 370, in user_main', '    errcode = main(args)', '  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 179, in main', '    result, resultmsgs = base.doCommands()', '  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 573, in doCommands', '    return self.yum_cli_commands[self.basecmd].doCommand(self, self.basecmd, self.extcmds)', '  File "/usr/lib/yum-plugins/changelog.py", line 215, in doCommand', "    if self._since_dto == dateutil_parser.parse('garbage', fuzzy=True):", '  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dateutil/parser.py", line 1168, in parse', '    return DEFAULTPARSER.parse(timestr, **kwargs)', '  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dateutil/parser.py", line 562, in parse', '    raise ValueError("String does not contain a date.")', 'ValueError: String does not contain a date.', '']
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/command.py", line 188, in post
    return Response(update_check(subscription=subo))
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/pkg_mgmt.py", line 163, in update_check
    o, e, rc = run_command([YUM, 'changelog', date, pkg])
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 110, in run_command
    raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/yum changelog 2017-Mar-18 rockstor. rc = 1. stdout = ['Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror', '']. stderr = ['Traceback (most recent call last):', '  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ', '    yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)', '  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 370, in user_main', '    errcode = main(args)', '  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 179, in main', '    result, resultmsgs = base.doCommands()', '  File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 573, in doCommands', '    return self.yum_cli_commands[self.basecmd].doCommand(self, self.basecmd, self.extcmds)', '  File "/usr/lib/yum-plugins/changelog.py", line 215, in doCommand', "    if self._since_dto == dateutil_parser.parse('garbage', fuzzy=True):", '  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dateutil/parser.py", line 1168, in parse', '    return DEFAULTPARSER.parse(timestr, **kwargs)', '  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dateutil/parser.py", line 562, in parse', '    raise ValueError("String does not contain a date.")', 'ValueError: String does not contain a date.', '']
[13/Jun/2017 08:11:44] DEBUG [storageadmin.util:45] Current Rockstor version: 3.9.0-0

So the currently running version is 3.9.0-0 and the specific error thrown seems really weird “ValueError: String does not contain a date” in the traceback. I don’t know maybe some sort of timeserver issue or just something wrong with the very basics of my network config. Is there any other info you want or should I just attempt to fix this by reinstalling rockstor?

Other potential problems could be the dropbox rocker I am currently testing or the pihole docker I am running.

Pull requests describing those are here and the most recent addition that maybe caused this problem is the dropbox docker I am testing:

However, pihole might also be a problem. The ethernet device seems to point to the router and the router has DNS set to the rockstor server to route traffic through pihole (backup DNS is set to google public). Could this be causing some sort of weird loop? To be clear my internet seems to work fine except for brief issues with utorrent and these update errors for the rockstor system and the rockons definitions updates.