Configure drive role - failure

I install Rockstor in Proxmox 5.0 with 5 virtio - devices.
The installation has gone through. But when I wanted to create a pool,

The drives were displayed as vda, vdb … The following message was displayed on the right:

Warning! Disk unusable as pool member - serial number is not legitimate or unique.

Disk names may change unavailably upon reboot to inadvertent drive reallocation and potential data loss. This error is caused by the source of these disks, such as your hypervisor or SAN. Please ensure you have read the serial number before proceeding further.

After - Configure drive Role / Wipe existing Filesystem / LUKS Format Whole Disk I got the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 730, in _role_disk
disk = self._validate_disk(did, request)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 392, in _validate_disk
handle_exception(Exception(e_msg), request)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/util.py”, line 47, in handle_exception
trace=traceback.format_exc())
RockStorAPIException: [‘Disk(115) does not exist’, ‘Traceback (most recent call last):\n File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 389, in _validate_disk\n return Disk.objects.get(id=did)\n File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/manager.py”, line 127, in manager_method\n return getattr(self.get_queryset(), name)(*args, **kwargs)\n File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/query.py”, line 334, in get\n self.model._meta.object_name\nDoesNotExist: Disk matching query does not exist.\n’]

Rosi

@roswitina Welcome to the Rockstor community.
Yes as the message state we can’t work with, and don’t support, drives that do not have a unique serial as we depend on this to track drives as we rely on udev by-id names that are kept unique (and stable) via a drives serial. We have it as part of our Minimum system requirements in our Quick start docs section:

All drives must have unique serial numbers (real drives do); not all VM systems default to this

Once you assign a unique serial number to each of your virtio drives (from within Proxmox) you should have a smoother experience and those Warning should no longer appear.

I have opened an issue in response to your report so that we can in future block the role/wipe/luks page as without the required dependency of the unique serial being met our drive management mechanism will not function as intended and ultimately error out as you have experienced.

Hope that helps and thanks for reporting this behaviour.