CPU temperature

Hi
Just a question really to the experts related to computer hardware.
I’ve been watching the core temperature of the cpu (E8500 on a DQ45CB) whilst Rockstor has been busy with saving and deleting files whilst the TV was receiving a film through Jellyfin.
I was doing this to ascertain whether the aged computer gear was up to the task, so using the Netdata Rockon sensors section, both cores were registering above 90 degrees C.
I understand the max sustainable temp to be 75C (Can’t really remember where that comes from). So, I now have further questions:

1. How accurate is the net data sensor?
  2. Am I correct in thinking 90+ degC is not sustainable?
  3. Do I need to think about a replacement bit of kit (Does any reader have such kit for sale at reasonable prices?)
    Thanks Mike

@Mike-B Hello again.
Re:

Your could try checking if the heatsink and fan are still properly seated, and of course not full of dust say. And note that the “aged” bit could contribute to failing (dryed out) thermal paste. A good clean-up and fresh application of new paste could be all that is required here.

Keep us update here.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Thanks Phil, it’s not many months since i rebuilt the rig with fresh paste and a clean out, however, it’s still worth a look, especially the fans, unless its a high end unit, as it doesn’t create much sound.
Thanks

3 Likes

Just for information, here’s a Intel temperature treatise that was posted on Tom’s Hardware forums …
not that this will fix your issue, but clarifies some temperature maximums and how to understand them.

Are you using Intel’s stock cooler for the CPU? If so, apparently it can come lose (one of the pins from the motherboard), which then of course doesn’t help the temp development:

2 Likes

Thanks Hoverdan, very useful reply, just waiting for a clear moment when i can investigate.

1 Like

After a coat of looking at, it was duscovered that indeed one fan post wasn’t secure leaving the cooling equipment able to rock on the processor. After a fix and a good vacuum the box was returned to service.
Maximum temperature observed through Netdata was 72C whilst saving files and utilising Jellyfin to watch a recorded tv show.
Interestingly, after saving was complete the temperature increased back to the 70’s i assume whilst balancing processes were completed ensuring raid 1 compliance
Thanks again for the invaluable help.

3 Likes

After a short time in operation, an increase in buffering was experianced whilst viewing through Jellyfin, it was also noted to be accompanied with higher cpu temperatures (Netdata) in the mid 80’s (C).
I found a second hand Xeon x3320 (I understand this model would be better for server use) for £10 on Ebay and along with a new variable speed fan set it all up and can watch different films on the tv, a tablet and phone at the same time.
Unfortunately it struggles for the first 10 mins (or so) with excessive buffering when watching 4K films and the temperature of one core runs at 80-83 with the other 3 at 77-79.
I would have thought the fan would be running at max speed but seems to be constant, perhaps the fan control has had its day.
As a long term project i would like to build a nas utilising an sbc with 4 h-drives, has anybody got any tips etc on this “configuration” to achieve a 4k server?

@Mike-B I assume, your 4K streams are not being transcoded but “direct play”? Often times, it seems the network (card or actual network) is to blame for buffering, but if I remember correctly from earlier posts on other topics, network was usually not an issue you encountered.

As far as I know, any recent intel core CPUs (at least 8th Gen), and most newish AMDs have no issue direct streaming 4K content. On the flip side, transcoding capabilities are driven by the onboard GPU section (e.g. Intel’s QuickSync) arer way more performance intensive, but depending on how many concurrent streams you will need, even an i3 CPU can be sufficient. But I think, if the 4K server is the focus you can probably get some good input on the jellyfin forums, and if 4K server should run on Rockstor, I suspect the only other thing you want to consider aligning with once you have some recommendations, is the CPU’s/motherboard’s ability to use ECC memory for the NAS side of things.

1 Like

Thanks @Hooverdan
It seems that learning stuff never ends.
Will overview the future rebuild paying closer attention to the hardware requirements
:flushed:

1 Like

A Cheap-O NV 1030 4 GB would be enough for 1-2 4k streams without heating up your box.

1 Like

Thanks @rakista
I must be a glutton for punishment, just purchased a pre used server motherboard, intel Xeon e3 1241 v3 on a supermicro X10SLM+LN4F with 32gb ddr3-ecc ram (thanks @Hooverdan ) along with a pcle M.2 3 x 16 expansion card to mount 256 gb nvme memory for the os.
Its all a bit experimental and I’m unsure of wether the Open Suse/Rockstor os will function with it. Anybody advise on that?
The objective is to build a case from oak (external) to fit in with existing furniture as the current “box” doesn’t and the supermicro is a micro atx so not to big a horizontal footprint. There’s other stuff to think about such as psu and front panel leads/switches.
Enogh of my rambling, ideas and advice always welcome due to my inexperience (ulike J Hendrix, sorry, just came to mind) :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Mike-B Hello again.
Re:

This should be just fine. If not then we are currently working towards out next installer build so that should help. It’s definitely a configuration that should work - assuming the hardware is able to boot from that drive itself.

Nice, I like this kind of thing myself. Hence the wooden Pi4 + SSD ‘stand’ on our main website.

As always keep us posted on any install issues, and build progress, re that new system. And keep an eye out for new installers being uploaded.

1 Like

nice! definitely get a good PSU, Nothing worse than an intermittently failing one (had that happen myself and its a pain to troubleshoot), I’m with @phillxnet I think it should work fine, it’s seasoned hardware and not bleeding edge …

1 Like

Thanks @Hooverdan
Dont think the Xeon E3 1241 v3 has an igpu so will have to cross a couple of bridges as the pcle card for the M.2 needs the 16 lane slot, possibly change the cpu for one that has an igpu.
Got a psu on the way, well, made an offer at least (Arctic 500 500W Desktop PSU ATX Power Supply Unit DL5-0109F45).
Think I’ll just check out the bios and mb set up to see if it works with the M.2 and go from there.
Thanks again
Mike

You are actually correct. You could pick up a Xeon like E3-1285L v4 that also has igpu and supports ECC for about 100 USD (in the US). Unfortunately that generation of i3s doesn’t have ECC support yet.

Mike, if you go here - ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33931/intel-xeon-processor-x3320-6m-cache-2-50-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html - you can see the Xeon x3320 is only rated up to
71.4°C - above this temperature, it will throttle the speed down to prevent the rated temperature being exceeded, which is why you’re getting slow-down issues.

This one is rated to 73°C as per below - because it’s an 80W chip, you need a beefy cooler. At maximum load, 80W is a lot of potential heat to get out of something so small ! Think of how hot an old-school 80W filament light bulb gets.

This one is rated to
72.4°C ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33911/intel-core-2-duo-processor-e8500-6m-cache-3-16-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

3 Likes

Thanks @Nom that’s very useful intel.
After observing the “rig” under load the cpu fan does not change speed so I feel the temperature control circuit has failed. Have decided to build a new one and will be discussing the build on the hardware thread when I’ve finished modelling the motherboard and associated stuff as it will be a bespoke case to fit in with the furniture instead of a plastic box from 2008 (skip rescue).

2 Likes