Crashplan GUI/Crashplan Desktop Service working on Rockstor?

I’ve seen talk on here about how to get Crashplan running in headless mode, but nothing for the GUI/Desktop mode. How do I install and launch the crashplan app from CLI locally on the Rockstor machine?

Do I need to install a desktop environment for linux first, or can I install and launch the Crashplan app without an underlying desktop environment?

This should be a set of fairly simple yum commands. I am still learning, but could probably figure it out in a few hours. If anyone can save me the trouble, I would greatly appreciate it.

1 Like

Actually, won’t there be increased support for Dockers in the next stable release? There are several docker containers available for Crashplan. If that feature is coming, I may just wait and configure things after the Tenaya milestone is finished.

If that’s the best way to get this job done, anyone have a working crashplan container they can recommend?

I’m still open to suggestions here, just putting more options on the table. The goal is to get things working, the means to that end are not consequential.

Yes, installing Crashplan GUI directly on rockstor is pretty simple. The bare minimum you need are gtk2 and libXtst, and maybe some font. You can than redirect the GUI to your local X server (such as Xming on Windows) through an ssh tunnel.

I find this approach much easier to maintain than the community-supported dockers which seem to break every now and then. And that really isn’t surprising because running Crashplan in headless mode has always been unsupported :smile:

@haoto

Thanks for the reply. I have a few thoughts. First, you don’t sound certain that this will be enough to get crashplan running (“and maybe some font”). Have you tried this? Second, there are no commands in your response. Third, I do not want to redirect my GUI. I want the GUI to run locally on the rockstor monitor.

If installing Gnome or something similar is the easiest way to get this done, that is fine. I would like a definitive answer and a setup guide.

I’m sure. It depends on whether you need to display non-ASCII file names in Crashplan GUI. For your need that doesn’t matter though; you should be able to install any popular desktop environment and Crashplan GUI will just work.

Thanks @haoto. I’ll give that a try.

I’m unable to get a desktop GUI working on Rockstor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, I tried to get a minimal desktop. I did:

1. yum groupinstall “X Window System”
  2. yum install gnome-classic-session gnome-terminal nautilus-open-terminal control-center liberation-mono-fonts
  3. systemctl start graphical.target
  4. startx

Although graphical.target is running, I get an error from startx (no such device), which then causes it to crash.

Then I tried to run a full desktop (which installs around 1,200 pakages…)

1. yum groupinstall “Gnome Desktop”

The full desktop option doesn’t work either, but even if it did, I don’t want all of that extra bloat. I’m never going to use a word processor on my server. It is worth noting, though, that it fails differently than the minimal desktop. The full install moves along like it should and about half way through installing all of the packages and dependencies, I just get a blank black screen. I’ve done this twice in two clean VMs, same result both times.

How can I get either of these options to work correctly (preferably option 1)? Anyone know what I’m missing that’s causing the GUI to crash?

Update: I downloaded CentOS 7 Minimal and was able to to use both processes above to get the GUI working. So, there’s something different about Rockstor as compared to CentOS.

Doing

(1) yum groupinstall “X Window System” (2) yum install gnome-classic-session gnome-terminal nautilus-open-terminal control-center liberation-mono-fonts (3) systemctl start graphical.target

worked flawlessly on Cent, but causes an error on Rockstor. If anyone can test and give me some insight that would be great. Just trying to get my backup software running :smile:

Hi there!

First off - Don’t install a desktop environment on a server - it’s bad karma.

There is a guide for this if you google “crashplan headless” (https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer)
Follow that guide from start to finish and it will work. The idea with crashplan on a server is to remote-manage it.

There are other ways, such as (if you have linux on your desktop/laptop) to run these commands:
On the server: export DISPLAY=<ip-of-your-desktop/laptop>:0
On the server: CrashPlanDesktop
That will summon the desktop app on you desktop even thou it’s executed on the server.

It’s easier to Install crashplan on your desktop and server and remote manage as in the guide if you have Windows thou.

1 Like

Negative, I don’t like the process for setting up Crashplan headless.

Still looking for an answer to my question about getting CrashPlan Desktop GUI on the server. Doesn’t need to be a full desktop OS, if there’s a way to run it as a Docker that’s fine, too. Whatever is easiest to configure is what I’m after.

Try this:

• Installing GNOME-Desktop:

yum -y groups install “GNOME Desktop”

• Input a command like below after finishing installation:

startx

• GNOME Desktop Environment will start. For first booting, initial setup runs and you have to configure it for first time.

Select System language first.
Select your keyboard type.
Add online accounts if you’d like to.
Finally click “Start using CentOS Linux”.