Dell R440 Fans running 50% continuously

Hi, I am a new user to Rockstor, and I have a dell R440. I have not created any pools; the only thing I have done is added on netdata. I have looked all over the settings and system tab, and I am looking for a way to get the system to calm down and lower the fan speeds. With other NAS software I have tested, the fans calm down once the system is up and running. I cannot find any setting for performance or power modes. My system is running almost at idle all the time as far as the dashboard is reporting. If anyone else has had this issue and fixed it, I would really appreciate some guidance. My Dell r720 does the same thing also.

@exodus3155 welcome to the Rockstor community.

While I think with both your Dell systems you can probably influence your fan behavior using the Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC), looking at threads like these:

https://www.dell.com/community/Rack-Servers/R720-fan-speed/m-p/7479915#M5959
or
https://www.dell.com/community/Systems-Management-General/Dell-PowerEdge-fan-speed-change-fanspeed-offset/td-p/5187784

you could check the available linux level power options, via the command line:
list available options for your system:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
likely the output will be something like:

performance powersave (multiple times for each CPU)

and check which one is active now:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

depending on the output you could test whether the change in powermode will have an impact, according to this:

https://dannyda.com/2021/05/16/how-to-easily-check-show-display-set-configure-switch-linux-power-plan-mode-powersave-performance/

initially that change will not survive a reboot, which for testing is probably ok.

Since I don’t own either of those systems, I also am hoping that others on the forum with a similar setup might be able to shed more light on this. But I would still bet on the iDRAC being the best option to manage that.

Let us know, how you get on.

2 Likes

Thank you for the help, and I did go into iDRAC and change the performance setting. The Linux cli options I have not tried but I will and post the results. I am completely new to Linux and still learning it so thank you again for the help. I just want to get the system running out of the box with as little adjustments to the server side as I can. I know it isn’t going to be perfect but honestly this is so far the only issue I have had. So here’s the state of the cpus :@dell440:/> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
performance powersave
@dell440:/> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
powersave
@dell440:/>
Which makes no sense why these fans are still cranked up. I installed a couple other NAS OS’s and it worked as designed. Going to keep digging see if there’s something else and learn about Linux level power options. But for now I will just turn the fans down in the iDRAC. Thank you for the quick response/help and have a great day.

3 Likes