Duplicate key value error

I’m trying to install Rockstor and I received the following error:duplicate key value violates unique constraint “storageadmin_disk_name_key” DETAIL: Key (name)=(ata-ST1000DM003-1ER162_W4Y5DY5L) already exists. How do I move forward?

@barclaymw welcome to the Rockstor community.

I assume, you’re either trying to install the stable 4.6 or one of the Release Candidates (5.0.9-0)?

Can you give a bit more insight on your hardware setup? Are you using an USB enclosure for your drive(s)?

Here is some more in-depth info on how Rockstor manages devices:

1 Like

I’m using an old Dell XPS desktop. It has a 495GB Raid
stripe array with two smaller drives on the motherboard. Rockstor is installed on the smallest drive, 265 GB. It’s running Windows 10. I rebooted and can’t start Rockstor again as well.

I think I am confusing myself here a little bit. Do I understand this correctly?

• you’re using a Hardware RAID that sum up to 495GB
  • installed Rockstor on one of two additional drives attached to the motherboard
  • you’re also running Windows 10 on this machine at the same time, i.e. you have set up a dual boot or are you installing Rockstor using a Virtual Machine?

Fundamentally, since btrfs operates best within its own software RAID, it is not recommended to run a hardware RAID underlying Rockstor if you’re intending on taking advantage of the 495GBs for Rockstor storage.

Out of these devices, which one is the one noted in the error message (ata-ST1000DM003-1ER162_W4Y5DY5L)? Is it one from the RAID or the other disks?

Finally, the error message happens during the installation or after the installation is complete and it’s trying to start up Rockstor (your comment on a reboot implies that the installation “completes” but Rockstor itself then runs into an issue).

Sorry, more questions, but I am trying to understand what the different moving parts might be causing your issues.

1 Like