Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/chattr -i /mnt2/pool1. rc = 1. stdout = ['']. stderr = ['/usr/bin/chattr: Read-only file system while setting flags on /mnt2/pool1', '']

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

I am trying to create a share folder on a raid5 set of disks. I created a pool1. I am getting a error message.

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py", line 41, in _handle_exception yield File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/share.py", line 206, in post add_share(pool, sname, pqid) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py", line 701, in add_share resize_flag == "delete" and ((d in cur_dev) or d == "missing") File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 657, in toggle_path_rw def kernel_info(): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 227, in run_command logger.debug("Running command: {}".format(" ".join(cmd))) CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/chattr -i /mnt2/pool1. rc = 1. stdout = ['']. stderr = ['/usr/bin/chattr: Read-only file system while setting flags on /mnt2/pool1', '']

@burnbum55 welcome to the Rockstor community.

You unfortunately selected a RAID level that has been flagged as unsupported in the upstream distro (i.e. SUSE SLES → Leap/TW). So, while it is recognized, by default the file system is only mounted as read-only, making it impossible to create shares.

For reference:

A similar conversation happened here:

Finally, the other option under the current official Rockstor version (e.g. 4.5.8-0) is to install the kernel backport and take advantage of the e.g. RAID10c3, or, in conjunction with the above “unsupported” setting take one of the RAID5/6 options into account.

See here:

https://rockstor.com/docs/howtos/stable_kernel_backport.html

Depending on where your RAID5 pool came from (i.e. imported into Rockstor from another server vs. created without any data within Rockstor, etc.), this might be of interest to you, as well:

Without getting into the whole philosophical debate on whether btrfs RAID5/6 is “stable and safe enough” for the home user, it’s still possible to work with RAID5/6 if you really want to. You can enable “unsupported btrfs” functionality by enabling them as described in the section above the above linked capability matrix.

Some file system features are available in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP3 but are not supported by SUSE. By default, the file system drivers in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 15 SP3 will refuse mounting file systems that use unsupported features (in particular, in read-write mode). To enable unsupported features, set the module parameter allow_unsupported=1 in /etc/modprobe.d or write the value 1 to /sys/module/MODULE_NAME/parameters/allow_unsupported .

@phillxnet anything you want to add, adjust?

2 Likes

Hi Hooverdan,

Is there a rockstor distro that have RAID 5 supported in stable mode?

No, at this time, the only way you can get to the RAID5 support is by using the kernel backport piece (which is using all openSUSE repos specific to the backport, so nothing special about that) as described above, since the upstream OpenSUSE LEAP releases of 15.4 (which is now EOL, and the team is working on getting the next stable release out for LEAP 15.5) have the “older” (that term is obviously relative) kernels in standard.

You can try the Tumbleweed version since that’s a rolling release, but that comes with all the risks/benefits to the older components of Rockstor in the current release.

The dev team is working really hard to drag all those underpinnings into the new decade, and hopefully there will be a new release candidate soon.

2 Likes