(Error while processing Rock-on profile at (http://rockstor.com/rockons/owncloud.json).). Lower level exception: (('_ssl.c:602: The handshake operation timed out',))

Brief description of the problem

Pretty new to Rockstor. Was looking for a simple NAS Server to install Plex and use to stream movies.
Have been using TrueNAS and OpenmediaVault (no issue with either of them and both are free).
Not very impressed so far with Rockstor. Was unable to run the installer on a Ryzen PC so had to create the boot image on an Intel PC. But now have installed Rockstor on an AMD Ryzen PC and it is working fine except:
Unable to update Rock-on window in GUI

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

Just trying to update Rock-on from the GUI page by clicking “Update”.

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon.py”, line 440, in _get_available
cur_res = requests.get(cur_meta_url, timeout=10)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/requests-1.1.0-py2.7.egg/requests/api.py”, line 55, in get
return request(‘get’, url, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/requests-1.1.0-py2.7.egg/requests/api.py”, line 44, in request
return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/requests-1.1.0-py2.7.egg/requests/sessions.py”, line 289, in request
history = [r for r in gen] if allow_redirects else []
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/requests-1.1.0-py2.7.egg/requests/sessions.py”, line 133, in resolve_redirects
proxies=proxies
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/requests-1.1.0-py2.7.egg/requests/sessions.py”, line 279, in request
resp = self.send(prep, stream=stream, timeout=timeout, verify=verify, cert=cert, proxies=proxies)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/requests-1.1.0-py2.7.egg/requests/sessions.py”, line 374, in send
r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/requests-1.1.0-py2.7.egg/requests/adapters.py”, line 213, in send
raise SSLError(e)
SSLError: (‘_ssl.c:602: The handshake operation timed out’,)

[paste here]
Originally 3.9.1 but updated to Rockstor 3.9.2.57
Kernel 4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

I tried a second time and now I get:

Houston, we’ve had a problem.

Unknown internal error doing a POST to /api/rockons/update

@nsridhar56 Welcome to the Rockstor community.

I’ve just responded via an ongoing PM to what I think is the same issue you are having here. Sorry for repeating myself in this public email but I unfortunately saw this post, with far more information in only once I’d responded in our PM chat. I’ll try harder on that front as it’s caught me out a couple of time of late.

I’m now pretty sure you are affected by a recent change to https only on rockstor.com. Rock-on updates come from there and @DrC here on the forum ran into the same issue:

and ended up submitting the fix that is now in 4.0.8-0. Also:

That is also a known issue with our older installer (3.9.1-0 built 2017) and newer hardware.

So, in summary, you need to install 4.0.8-0 via a DIY installer from:

Where @kageurufu recently improved our instructions to bind the installer so that it can be done on say a recent Ubuntu install, see the following forum thread and @grizzly’s confirmation of this:

The additional info you have given in this excellent report very much suggests that the http->https slowdown we recently introduced and fixed in 4.0.8-0 is your issue here.

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on with the 4.0.8-0 DIY installer build, it’s subsequent install on the AMD hardware, and the consequent Rock-on update timeout issue. I’m hoping for a 3 for 3 here incidentally. Also note that the resulting DIY installer will have all upstream openSUSE updates pre-built-in. That’s particularly important for newer hardware as the installer itself will use the latest openSUSE released kernel, not just the resulting install.

Thanks again for helping to support Rockstor’s development and for the detailed report.