"failed to retrieve printer list"

A minor issue, but one that has been outstanding a long time and causes this log file spam every 13 minutes:

Nov 22 08:46:52 nas smbd[31359]: [2016/11/22 08:46:52.364186, 0] …/source3/printing/print_cups.c:151(cups_connect)
Nov 22 08:46:52 nas smbd[31359]: Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost:631 - Transport endpoint is not connected
Nov 22 08:46:52 nas smbd[8507]: [2016/11/22 08:46:52.364942, 0] …/source3/printing/print_cups.c:529(cups_async_callback)
Nov 22 08:46:52 nas smbd[8507]: failed to retrieve printer list: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

Has anyone solved this? I see there are many enabled print options in /etc/samba/smb.conf. Is it safe to comment out lines such as:

load printers = yes
cups options = raw

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
writable = no
printable = yes

Hi @grizzly,
here is my default smb.conf (from Rockstor) for cups/printing:

cups options = raw
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
printcap name = /dev/null
load printers = no

so actually there’s no printing

EDIT: and on default cups not installed on Rockstor
M.

1 Like

Thanks Flyer. /etc/samba/smb.conf is obviously not managed by Rockstor because mine was very different from yours. Mine had various lines commented using a ; (semi-colon) instead of ‘#’ (hash). I replaced the former with the latter and changed from load printers = yes to load printers = no, restarted the smb service, and no more print error spam in /var/log/messages :slight_smile:

:confused: ??? On a Rockstor machine /etc/samba/smb.conf is managed by Rockstor (stop start service and get a full smb.conf rewrite)

M.

1 Like

On a Rockstor machine /etc/samba/smb.conf is managed by Rockstor

I stand corrected. But in that case, perhaps a check\replacement of the load printers = yes setting is needed.

Hi @grizzly,
actually this is code writing /etc/samba/smb.conf once you turn on samba service

So our default has no printers loading :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am also having an issue on the printer as the printer I not getting connected to the device from which I am trying to have the printout. it is showing Epson printer error code e-01 while doing the process.