Failed to start: Crash recover kernel arming

Help!

All of a sudden I can’t connect to the UI URL and when I rebooted my rockstor server I get the message “[34.543182 systemd[1]: Failed to Start: Crash recovery kernel arming”

Team
Any thoughts?

My build and all my files are inaccessible.

Thanks!

Hi @William212! Have you tried booting into recovery kernel?

Appologies, but how might one do that?

I am presented with 4 choices upon boot.

• Rockstor (4.6.1.01.e17.elrepo.x86_64) 3 (core) with debugging
  • Rockstor (4.6.1.01.e17.elrepo.x86_64) 3 (core)
  • Rockstor (4.4.5.01.e17.elrepo.x86_64) 3 (core)
  • Rockstor (0-rescue-5735c9413e54960b3e668bd4791b31) 3 (Core)

I receive the previously noted error with the first option.

The other three seem to boot fine but I cannot connect to the webUI

Or as an alternative, could I do a fresh install on a new boot drive and still access my data?

@William212 As long as none of your data was stored on the rockstor_rockstor pool (the system drive) then yes that should be fine.

The official docs has a section entitled Reinstalling Rockstor which should hopefully be of use. There is also a Pre-Install Best Practice (PBP) section.

Be sure to remove the old system drive though as leaving it in place / connected can cause some issues due to the pool name clash.

And to be safe it’s good practice to disconnect your current data drives during the install, just in case you mistakenly chose one as the new system drive. That way you can complete the install and initial setup procedure then power off, connect you existing data drives, then boot up and follow the instructions in the above Reinstalling Rockstor link.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ll order a new drive and try that.

Until it arrives, any thoughts on what might have happened?

Also are there any steps I can take until then to get temporary access - i.e. how to get to the recovery kernel?

No sorry, without looking into things a bit more it’s difficult to say.

You could do a fresh install over the existing system drive, noting the guides advise on first removing the existing partitions there.

You already have by selecting, via the cursor keys, the other alternative grub kernel options you listed previously, the differently versioned kernels are older kernels and if the issue is related to the latest version you might get most functionality by reverting to an older version.

There is also the option to use an install disk / usb key to attempt a repair on your system partition but I suspect it’s easier in your case to just re-install. Do go for disconnecting your data drives first though; just in case.

Hope that helps and sorry it’s a bit brief but short on time currently.