Fails to install rockons

was able to install plex anything after fails heres the tail of rockstor.log

[17/Jan/2017 21:20:44] DEBUG [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:70] Attempted to remove a container(Deluge). out: [''] err: ['Error response from daemon: no such id: Deluge', 'Error: failed to remove containers: [Deluge]', ''] rc: 1.
[17/Jan/2017 21:20:44] DEBUG [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:127] exception while installing the Rockon(4)
[17/Jan/2017 21:20:44] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:128] 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 125, in install
    globals().get('%s_install' % rockon.name.lower(), generic_install)(rockon)
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 205, in generic_install
    cmd.extend(vol_ops(c))
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 181, in vol_ops
    share_mnt = ('%s%s' % (settings.MNT_PT, v.share.name))
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'
[17/Jan/2017 21:25:10] DEBUG [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:70] Attempted to remove a container(nzbget). out: [''] err: ['Error response from daemon: no such id: nzbget', 'Error: failed to remove containers: [nzbget]', ''] rc: 1.
[17/Jan/2017 21:25:10] DEBUG [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:127] exception while installing the Rockon(12)
[17/Jan/2017 21:25:10] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:128] 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 125, in install
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 205, in generic_install
    cmd.extend(vol_ops(c))
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 181, in vol_ops
[root@rockstor log]# tail rockstor.log
[17/Jan/2017 21:25:10] DEBUG [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:127] exception while installing the Rockon(12)
[17/Jan/2017 21:25:10] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:128] 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'
    cmd.extend(vol_ops(c))
[17/Jan/2017 21:28:30] DEBUG [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:127] exception while installing the Rockon(21)
[17/Jan/2017 21:28:30] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:128] 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'
    cmd.extend(vol_ops(c))
[17/Jan/2017 21:28:30] DEBUG [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:127] exception while installing the Rockon(21)
[17/Jan/2017 21:28:30] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:128] 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'
    cmd.extend(vol_ops(c))

rebooting appears to solve the issue but very strange

I appear to run into a similar issue, installing the Sonarr rock-on inside a VM (I’m testing out Rockstor to see if I want to run it on the NAS/home server I’m contemplating). I’ve seen it happen with other rock-ons as well. Retrying didn’t solve it, rebooting didn’t, either.

[19/Sep/2017 11:14:33] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:124] 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 121, in install
    generic_install)(rockon)
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 207, in generic_install
    cmd.extend(vol_ops(c))
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 179, in vol_ops
[19/Sep/2017 11:16:20] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon_helpers:124] 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'name'
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 121, in install
    generic_install)(rockon)
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 207, in generic_install
    cmd.extend(vol_ops(c))
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon_helpers.py", line 179, in vol_ops

There’s more then plenty of room free on the shares I’m using - the only thing I could see going wrong is permissions, but both shares involved have group write rights and are owned by the user and group that I’m using for both the shares and the rock-ons. I’ve been able to install another rock-on (Deluge) with the same users and shares just fine…

Removing the Deluge rock-on doesn’t help. Installing another one (Owncloud official) works. Seems a bit hit and miss.

Update: I’ve kept trying, with the same result after an update. Then something hit me: for the rockons that have more than one Docker volume in their definition, you need to specify different shares for each volume.

Installing a rockon with all volumes mapped to share docker1, for example, would result in the usual error message, but if I created a docker2 and docker3 share, I could map three different Docker volumes to those three different shares, and hey presto, things work.

There’s some logic to that, I’m sure (some things dictonarie’d by share name, internally, perhaps? What made the click for me was seeing only one volume/share combo listed in last “Please verify your input and click submit to start the installation” step), but frankly I’d like to be able to use the same share for more than one volume - Docker allows it, I wouldn’t know why Rockstor wouldn’t. Failing that, at least a warning would be nice, or something in the UI blocking you from using a volume more than once.

At least I know how to work around the issue, now. :slight_smile:

I see this post is from 2017, yet the issue is still there and relevant. The solution is indeed to select a different folder for every share required by the RockOn. For example: For Couchpotato you need a different share for the config, the downloads, and the movie folders. The reason is that in the background bind mounts (paths) are used on the docker containers, and you cannot bind to the same destination twice.

Sadly enough, the plugin wizard only allows you to select shares. That means you need to create a new share for every plugin that requires a config path, so it can store its config there. Reusing the same path for configs could cause conflicts. This can result in a large, flat, list of folders that are only relevant to the plugins.

Too bad this hasn’t been addressed 5 years later.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share the fix here!

You’ve probably already seen it, but I’ve tried to develop a bit more the topic in your recent thread:

2 Likes