Feature request - DLNA inside File Sharing

This is a feature that seems so basic and obvious that I think there must be a reason why it is not currently offered.

But inside Rockstor sharing options you offer Samba, NFS and SFTP. Why can you not also offer DLNA in there?

It would make life so much easier if this was added as a core sharing feature inside Rockstor. Could you therefore consider offering this please as a sharing option?

I think, part of the challenge is to identify a current (i.e., still actively maintained) dlna server that could be used. miniDLNA has always been popular, but I believe, there has not been any recent development on that front.

The current approach has been offering DLNA capable Rockons like plex, emby and jellyfin, but that’s of course a bit more overhead than what you’re trying to get to.

However, feel free to open a feature request on the github repository (GitHub - rockstor/rockstor-core: Linux/BTRFS based Network Attached Storage(NAS)
so it’s documented as a feature request. You can reference this thread, so if there are more comments from e.g., @phillxnet or @Flox as the maintainers or anybody else from the community really, that will be then captured as well.

Fundamentally, it will be a question of priorities (next stable being the highest, and then likely something like the front-end technical renovation as that’s quite old) while considering the currently limited development capacity.

Of course pull requests on this topic will always be welcome, the more help, the better.

2 Likes