Future & ZFS / CentOS

I would like to know if OpenZFS will be supported and what will be the base since CentOS is obsolete.

I would like to try Rockstor, but seems no point just yet without OpenZFS. I would need to bring my pools from freenas over.

Hello and Welcome!

Rockstor 4.0 is running on Opensuse. Its not finalised, but Ive been running it for months on my own basic filesharing setup (2 hdds, ssd boot). Seems to be great so far! Look around for any ā€œBuilt on Opensuseā€ or beta posts.

Ill leave the ZFS statements to someone else though, I have no idea what that looks like on Linux these days. Lots of memory overhead but what an impressive filesystem, on Solaris at least.

2 Likes

@gwaitsi, @phillxnet can elaborate more, but Rockstor was created and is continued to be built using btrfs. The UI and tools are all geared towards that. Because of original design goal, and as far as I know, there are no plans for incorporating other Filesystems. Of course, you can continue to add other filesystem mounts, etc. however those would not be managed via the Rockstor UI.

3 Likes

@gwaitsi welcome to the forum. Thatā€™s an interesting question you pose. However, I personally doubt that Rockstor will or should embrace other filesystems, as I believe btrfs is the main USP of Rockstor.

If you wish to stay with ZFS but also move away from FreeNAS, I suggest looking at xigmanas which I use on one of my backup servers.

If the only reason you are waiting/hoping for Rockstor to embrace ZFS is to make the move to Rockstor easier, then Iā€™d suggest building a fresh Rockstor installation using your existing disks (wiped of ZFS) and transfer the data from your backup.

There, I managed to get the ā€˜bā€™ word in this post twice.

3 Likes

seems to me strange/limiting that OpenZFS would not be supported, as the storage system with OpenSUSE / Debian both support it. I am not in any way knowledgable, but I migrated from OMV -> FreeNAS and now all my data is on ZFS (and invested in the h/w), so i am looking for a way back to linux with minimal inconvenience.

Well if itā€™s a way back to Linux you you are after, FreeNAS (now called TrueNAS) does now provide a Linux debian based option called TrueNAS Scale, which would most likely allow you to import your pools directly without any problems.

3 Likes

As Rocky linux (led by Gregory Kurtzer, founder of the CentOS project) has made a release, might Rockstor just carry on with that?

Rockstor rocks on rocky linux?

Old rockstor has old CentOS, version 4 is already working on opensuse. Rockstor is built on btrfs so probably no use of wasting resources on openzfs since there are NAS distributions based on that already. Also no use going back to CentOS based system when current one works.

2 Likes

OMV support ZFS and TrueNAS Scale supports ZFS.
Notably, Red Hat and deprecated BTRFS.

A shame there isnā€™t a 3rd contender to choose from.

Btrfs is default on opensuse which rockstor is based on. Have you tried rockstor? Itā€™s built around btrfs. You can code 3rd contender if you want ZFS? This is like arguing that motorcycle is a bad car.