How do I export a OpenVPN .config file

Hello Good Folks!!

New to RockStor and OpenVPN and I have created the .config files for the OpenVPN but how do I or what is the best method to export those .config files so I can then upload that file to OpenVPN so I can connect to it? I feel I have missed a step or two on the documentation about OpenVPN and Rockstor.

Please and thank you!

@Nephilim81 welcome to the Rockstor community. I assume, you followed the steps here:

https://rockstor.com/docs/interface/docker-based-rock-ons/openvpn-server.html

If you created a config file per client that you want to be able to connect, you just need to get to the config file in the directory mentioned in the instructions:

/tmp/<clientname>.ovpn

If you have set up an accessible share that you can copy these to, so you can download it either to the client you want to use to connect it to and place it in its OpenVPN config/profile directory, or use other means on a connected machine to send it to the clients you want to be able connect to the OpenVPN server.

BTW, I have started using the Wireguard Rockon instead of OpenVPN, as creating and getting to the config is easier (it has a simple WebUI). On the client machines I installed a WireGuard client (under windows there is a free one available in the Microsoft Store). Alternatively, you can of course also use the new Tailscale functionality that’s been published with one of the recent test channel updates. That one requires a bit of setup, but then runs at the OS level of Rockstor.

2 Likes