How to install rockstor to RaspBerry PI 2

hi @suman ,I down the img from you give sitesenter link description here , then I use DD write the img to the SD(16GB) in linux and I use “Image Writer” write img to the SD(16GB) in windows.But they are not work both the two methods in Raspberry pi. My steps have problem?
Thank you very much!

I’m not sure if there is an ARM version available… The ISO you are using is i586 / x64, which is not going to work on RPi 2’s CPU.

Afaik, there is no CentOS for the RPi either, but there is http://pidora.ca/, which is probably the closest thing there is currently.

That said, I’m not sure putting Rockstor on a RPi is going to all that useful? (fun, but if you just want to fileshare some USB devices there are lighter options)

There is some hope for you as the soon to be developed kernel will support the RPi 2.
Linux 4.5 development

Others are busy building a 32 bit ARM version of CentOS.

Even with those stones in place, it would be a great effort to get Rockstor running on your Pi, and you would still end up with slow USB2 connected drives.

Go for something specially developed for the Pi’s. There is a huge userbase and active support.

I would agree that Rockstor on a Raspberry Pi would not be hugely useful. It’s probably feasible if you throw enough time at it, though.

What would definitely be extremely useful, though, is for a Raspberry Pi 2 (or Odroid C1) to be supported as a replication target. I’ve got a Pi 2 with a 3TB USB drive sitting in a separate location for backups; not fast, but fine for the purpose, and probably the cheapest way to keep such backups.

I’m hoping to find time to check what would be involved to implement just enough that the Pi can act as a Rockstor appliance replication target.

Haven’t played with this myself, but i would guess that just making a replication target is a lot easier.

OpenSuse has the most experience with BTRFS, and they have a special branch for the RPi 2. Install instructions here OpenSuse.

I guess a Yum install openSSH, automatic mounting of your 3T drive, mirror Pools and creating a user is pretty much what is left.

That is, if Rockstor doesn’t do anything special that requires the target to be a Rockstor install as well

1 Like

Thank you for reply me. I tried many times ,the Rockstor can not be installed in Raspberry now.But the centos7 can be installed ,this is the link:centos7 img,yoou can try it ,it works on my Raspberry.

Thank you for reply for me ,I will try it later.

Thanks a lot! I got it. Thank you for your advice.

Hey everyone. this topic is 100% what i walked thru the desert for many moons to discover. SO…can it be done? Rockstor on a pi that can be remotely integrated into the main server thru wifi and if need be id settle for Ethernet. And could they then rebroadcast in theory? Any feedback would be hugely appreciated. Ty all and cheers for now,
Marc Arcand

It’s probably not impossible but I wouldn’t try that… Both file sharing and the webui are not super fast even on pretty powerful x86 systems with lots of ram (compared to even the pi4 ) I would imagine it would be completely useless on a pi. Plus non of the rockons would work.

May I ask why you wanted to run rockstor on a pi?

To be fair, if you’d want to chuck it somewhere remote with an external disk attached, to run a mirror of the data on your main server… I might see that work. Not to say I’d insist on actually doing it, but it might be a reason. They’re cheep as chips, so no harm in using a couple here and there. A full-grown PC will cost a lot more, both in buying them and in the electricity bill.

If that is the case I would think that running duplicati on the main system to send periodically backups to a pi running raspbian would be faster and more reliable. Plus it would save him the hassel of getting rockstor to work on a new platform.

Hey guys! I’m so glad to see the responses. So @HBDK you have a point and its one that makes or breaks where I’m going with this. @doenietzomoeilijk I’m thinking you probably know where I’m going with this already, I bet you had this idea in yur head.
So my intention is too have remote servers for members of my group to feed my main server by remote. The remote servers need to be able to do 3 things. Broadcast wi-fi. Control media and sharing on location, finally take incoming downloads from WordPress in the cloud. And yes - host a super mini WordPress multisite stack. The thing is they could theoretically all share the same bare bones mini computer. Requirements for those apps are very close on stripped down Linux. Rockstor seems to be the one I would base minimum requirments then WordPress is easy. Not sure about the wifi part yet but WP/Rockstor first. It would be nice to start with a pi because it would be deployed the same always. And I’m talking older if possible because price over speed in this application is paramount. The cheaper I can deploy the more I can realistically get my idea off the ground. And then yes when everyone complains about speed but they are roped in I’m sure there are plenty of resources available to convince my fledgling co founders to upgrade. For all the reasons as I said makes this a delicate multi-faceted cliff jumper.
I also have a box of androids with smashed screens and am knee deep in doo-doo trying to root and Linux these. I know they will eventually be used however that’s not where I’m going to start. Its hard to get volunteers when its not polished. Anyways ty and that’s my story specifically. I have a few questions based on yur responses but I’ll post them separately so you don’t have to read this again lol.

So because I am in the bush and have the worlds worst internet connection I want to spread the servers around, and do updates. They wont but they will be happy to share bandwidth. Incoming Media will be raw and lossless so huge. There is no hurry for that. Outgoing will be small mp3. Can pi handle 2 internet connects take a slow incoming and fast outgoing? If possible what generation I suppose makes the difference right?

And last but not least. If it all pans out and become admired by my fellow critics I could by the flag ship server and support for instance. What specific criteria would be my constraints on the satellite deploys if I had the main server and support package? lol I know its a loaded question. K that’s it for now boys sorry to take up so much of your time. I’m really grateful for your expertise and want to reiterate that I was looking for something like this for a while. The ideas where in my head, but took me a while to even get this far on the tech side of this.
Cheers,
Marc,

Actually, now I have less of an idea of what you want to achieve… :slight_smile:

The remote servers need to be able to do 3 things. Broadcast wi-fi. Control media and sharing on location, finally take incoming downloads from WordPress in the cloud. And yes - host a super mini WordPress multisite stack.

This has me slightly confused.

Broadcast wifi

Do you mean connection sharing, where the incoming ethernet connection gets shared over wifi? That won’t be too fun with anything but a raspi 4, since the ethernet port is hooked up through the USB bus in the earlier models, severely limiting the bandwidth available. Basically, pre-4, using USB for both storage and network is not advised.

Control media and sharing on location

This sounds not-too-heavy. Again, you’ll run into the speed issue I mentioned, but at least it won’t be feeding a wifi network. Still, for actively serving file shares, I wouldn’t use a pi, and if forced to, I’d make sure it was at least a 4.

finally take incoming downloads from WordPress in the cloud

Wait what? What do you mean with this? You have a central WP install running somewhere, and these satellites somehow pull stuff down from it? How? Cron job that fetches an RSS feed or something? What kind of data are we talking about?

And yes - host a super mini WordPress multisite stack.

Might work, but WP wouldn’t be my first choice for hosting on a Pi, there’s blog systems that don’t require a full-grown MySQL server running on the same host.

The low internet speed you mentioned might be a bit of a stumbling block for things, but apart from that I’m still not entirely sure what you’re aiming for, yet increasingly sure that a raspi might not be the best platform to use. Syncing data isn’t what I’d consider Rockstors primary use case, although you can of course use it as a server that runs a Nextcloud or Syncthing instance (I’ve been running Nextcloud for years and I’m very happy with it). Not sure what the satellite WordPress sites would be doing, to be honest. Run mirrors of a site that’s also running on the central host?

I also have a box of androids with smashed screens and am knee deep in doo-doo trying to root and Linux these.

Depending on what exactly you want to do with those, I’d go with either Termux (which gives you a commandline-like environment and compile tools, so you can run Linux-y things) or dump them - getting Linux to run on the bare metal Android devices require drivers, and depending on the chipset used, that’s hard to impossible.

I have to say that was one of the most comprehensive and detailed responses I have received in a long time. Ty for that. Sorry that I wasen’t clear. I wanted to just make a unit suitable for rockstor that could be used for other purposes. The benchmark would have to be rockstor as I think from what ive seen and researched is cutting edge. Sharing recorded video raw and raw garage band (Iphone multi track recorder on phones and tablets) files are the main reason for remote machines. My studio is in the middle of nowhere so it cant be the main dumping site for large files. They could transfer at a slower rate however over days and be here. So as per your advice just rockstor and just to deliver files. Ty for everything. Alot in your response ill have to read up on as you are a bit of a ringer :slight_smile: and that I appreciate very much as you answered everything. Ok cheers for now ill hit the books!
Cheers,
Marc,

Wouldn’t something like IPFS be more suited to the transfer of those files?

Wow, ty for that. And ty for listening. I’m gonna learn some more :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Marc