Installation Problems with Logon

Trying to install Rockstor on a Dell PowerEdge T110ii server to run as my NAS Server. At first I was getting it to install with asking for the Root User Name and the Root Password, after install (I entered the Password during the Installation Setup, as asked. The problem then was it was asking for the User Name and system never asked for a Name nor did it ever say what the User Name was. After trying different security settings and other settings, unit is now stating
"anaconda.21.48.22.56-1 exception report
Traceback (most recent call first)
File “/usr/share/anaconda/addons/org_fedora_oscap/common.py”, Line 230,

I then ran the install without selecting a Security Profile and now the unit is booting and asking for the Rockstor Login.and Password. I know the Password because I entered it during the installation but what is the Login?

Welcome RBrown,
just to clarify, once the installation is complete (including setting the root password) and you have rebooted the server, when you pull the WebUI in your browser, it doesn’t start with the creation of the admin user?

Did you wipe the system before you performed a reinstall?

You could also check what users you currently have (if you can log in using the root user) with

getent passwd

That might give you an indication what users the system now has (e.g. the user GID 1000 might be your original admin user with WebUI access)…

2 Likes

Well, I had the WebUI for Rockstor accessed nad had the Correct Login Information. The Login info that I was speaking of was on the Centos OS Linux Login (text, not GUI). I am new to the Linux scenario and still trying to learn it along with the command strings. I decided that I would add another 4TB Drive to this server along with 3 other 4TB drives (all Seagate NAS IronWolf) and figured I would just Delete and start over to be able to have the Storage. I Didn’t know if it was possible to add a drive and configure it separately being that I could not find anything on the Rockstor GUI. Now after trying to install I delete and then reclaim all 4 drives and start the install. Upon Rebooting I am now getting the following during boot…
[1.339301] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: Bios: 00B 1 144b0928 144b0928
[1.339442] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bios: 00B 1 00f11900 00f11900
[1.339571] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: bios: 00B 1 00f11900 00f11900
[3.114819] BTRFS error (device sda2): failed to read the system array: -5
[3.128572] BTRFS error (device sda2): open_ctree failed

Generating “/run/initramfs/rdsosreport.txt”

Entering emergency mode. Exit the shell to continue.
Type “journalctl” to view system logs.
You might want to save…….
after mounting them as attach it to a bug report.

The only problem is, after this error occurs I can not type anything in or even reboot via “CTL, ALT, Del”. the only thing that works is to power off and reboot, and of course the error occurs again.

Is there a STEP By STEP procedure on how to install and run this? The instructions are very vague on the site. considered installing the CentOS 8 with GUI, but I am not seeing how to run it and install RockStor into it. It looks like this OS is only controlled and ran through a remote web Interface. I am trying to create a Large NAS system that I can access from anywhere and run programs and stream music and movies from. I already have several Personal Cloud units but want to have something that is Large Enough to store all of the data and accessed easily. I have read great reviews on your product but it seams not very user friendly and easy to configure.

At the OS level, the user for login in would be “root” (and you gave the password) to start with (you can then add other users that are less permissive if you’re concerned about “full” access.

As for the step by step, I assume you are referring to this one?
http://rockstor.com/docs/quickstart.html

I also assume, you have a separate OS drive (or USB) which is different from the installation media (i.e. not located on any of the Drives you want to use for storage like stated in the minimum requirements).
I thought the video listed in those instructions was fairly helpful even if it refers to an older version of RockStor.

I think for the disks, you might have to wipe them entirely (all partitions, etc.) as to ensure that any remaining BTRFS reference is cleared out …

The majority of the configuration (if not all) for the RockStor appliance is indeed managed through the WebUI (in order to make the whole NAS management business more user-friendly).
The OS level “work” is usually only required for special use cases (e.g. advanced configurations of network adapters).

2 Likes