Installation stuck on HP Microserver N40L

@Schrauber

As per the previously referenced issue it’s based on 1511 (7.2) as the 7.3 came out just after the new 7.2 based Rockstor iso had been prepared.

Yes that was also the finding of others, hence the push at the time for a 7.3 based installer; but the timing just wan’t right unfortunately. In the issue @tazzydemon 's explorations were referenced, re-referenced here for ease:

My kernel boot options suggestion was as an option to pursue with the existing installer kernel to avoid its kernel’s issues seen my some.

I haven’t tended to this myself as yet but hopefully all that you need should be in the rockstor-iso repository:

If you find anything a-miss there please open an issue / pull request as all assistance is welcome.

Hope that helps.

Hi, pretty new here and wanted to get a Rockstor up and running. I too have the same problem in this thread. So what’s the current best fix, updating the ISO with a newer Kernel (will need to dust off my linux skills for this) or find an older version to install with and upgrade. Anyone know where I can get previous versions?

I am still having this issue. Had to turn back to OMV, since I cant install Rockstor after hardware failure forces me to re-install it…

This is an old post, but is there a current resolution?
I’m installing on an old Gateway DX4320-01e w/ AMD945 and getting this problem.

Hello,
I am trying to install Rockstor on my HP Proliant N54L704941-421 with AMD Turion II Neo N54L Dual Core CPU and 8 GB RAM.
I am currently trying to install Rockstor 3.9.1 from USB key on a local USB key inserted in the HP Proliant motherboard.
I have tried disabling ACPI and using “Install Rockstor 3.0 in basic graphics mode” under Troubleshooting but nothing changes. I always end up with the same error that is posted at the beginning of this post.
Can someone help me with this issue ? I have read various other posts but nothing seems to work.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey guys,
looks like I solved the problem by myself.
I added « nosmp » on the kernel command line and canceled quiet… now Rockstor 3.9.1 is installing on my HP Proliant N54L.
Hope this will help someone else that is having my issue.

1 Like

@carlasella Welcome to the Rockstor community and nice find there.

Thanks for the update and for sharing your findings. Remember to select an update channel when prompted as you will then be offered much newer Rockstor code (and a slightly newer kernel) than comes with the iso. Also stable, as a value add for subscribers, is now much newer than testing (we had to refocus more recently). But last released testing channel is still fairly usable.

Hopefully you won’t need this kernel option as once installed Rockstor changes over to a much newer kernel than is default in our current CentOS base.

Which generation is your HP Proliant N54L?

Let us know how you get on.

@phillxnet Thanks.
Thanks for your suggestions they are valuable.
My HP Proliant N54L is a 7th generation server.
It worked ! I’ve got Rockstor up an running :smile:.

@carlasella Thanks for the info, these look like nice little devices. I think I remember project lead @suman having an older generation of these. They look to be very tidy.

That’s great news. Did you select an update channel and then install the consequent updates.? By default when using the System - Software Update page you also get all the upstream updates. And given the iso is geetting a little old there are quite a few of them. You can also update all but the rockstor package via the flashing (wifi) icon next to the kernel version.

Give all updates a while to apply though as we have had breakages when people reboot during an update.

Keep us posted.

YW. I did not yet select an update channel as I am still in the testing phase, I am new to Rockstor. If I succeed in what I am planning to do I will certainly select the update channel and apply updates. Thanks for all your suggestions, they are valuable if I succeed to put up a fileserver as I planed I will do as you say.

@carlasella
re:

OK, that makes sense. But there have been quite a few fixes released since the iso was released under the testing channel. So you could select that one first and get at least some improvements, plus the slightly newer kernel of course (which is important). You can always then switch to the value add stable (which is now the much newer of the two) later down the line and in doing so help to support development financially if that works for you.

A known chicken and egg bug when changing from testing to stable however:
Make sure to confirm you actually have installed what the Web-UI interface states. This can be done via a terminal as root user:

yum info rockstor

We had a bug when switching from testing to stable where the Web-UI would show available version not installed. That was really irritating but never mind. It is now fixed and so once we get another iso out we can forget it. But of course if you don’t know of it then you thing you are on a newer version and it doesn’t ever offer to updates via the Web-UI. Details in case you are interested:

https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-core/issues/1870

Essential the Rockstor code age is as follows:

• iso 3.9.1-0 (July 2017)
  • testing channel (Gratis) 3.9.1-16 (same as 3.9.2-0 stable at the time (November 2017)
  • stable channel (Paid subscription to help with the projects development) 3 days ago.

You can see the details for the fixes introduced in each release on the GitHub Releases page:

All code in all versions is GPL v2 or later bar the js libraries which are all at least open source. So you might as well try the testing code for your testing and either stick with it or get the newer stable code. In time we will release a new iso and so all new installs will again be bang up to date (at least for a while). But that’s not the case right now.

Hope that helps and thanks again for sharing your fix / workaround for getting this hardware working on our now rather old installer (we are working on that). Much appreciated.

YW. Thanks for your further suggestions, I will do as you suggest. I am glad to have helped, it’s a pleasure.

Hi @phillxnet,
I would like to upgrade to stable all the same, even if I am testing.
Can you tell me how to proceed ? I had selected the testing channel but it does not update.
But no matter, how do I change to stable ? can I do it from Rockstor 3.9.1 ?
Thanks.

[root@xxxx]# yum info installed -v rockstor
Loading “changelog” plugin
Loading “fastestmirror” plugin
Config time: 0.019
Yum version: 3.4.3
rpmdb time: 0.000
Installed Packages
Name : rockstor
Arch : x86_64
Version : 3.9.1
Release : 0
Size : 84 M
Repo : installed
From repo : anaconda
Committer : Suman Chakravartula suman@rockstor.com
Committime : Sun Jul 2 14:00:00 2017
Buildtime : Sun Jul 2 22:10:13 2017
Install time: Tue Nov 13 15:21:51 2018
Installed by: System
Changed by : System
Summary : RockStor – Store Smartly
License : GPL
Description : RockStor – Store Smartly

If I go to System, Updates, it just tries to update, fails, but does not let me change channel.
Thanks.

@carlasella

After having selected the update channel the same page:
System - Software Updates
should offer you a button to update.

Otherwise if an update is available (which since you are on 3.9.1.0 (iso version) either channel should have updates waiting) your Rockstor version number in the top Right of the Web-UI should have an up arrow indicator:

top-right-version-update-indicator

clicking on version number / uparrow takes you to the:
System - Software Updates
page as well.

Then click the Start Update button, in the pic below I’m being offered / informed about version 3.9.2-43 (as that machine has a lower rockstor package version installed):

could you give the output from:

yum info rockstor

as that should also show what version is available for sure, as well as the version installed and hence check on if your update channel selection worked.

So for the example machine above we have:

yum info rockstor
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirror.ox.ac.uk
 * epel: www.mirrorservice.org
 * extras: mirror.ox.ac.uk
 * updates: mirror.clustered.net
Installed Packages
Name        : rockstor
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 3.9.2
Release     : 42
Size        : 79 M
Repo        : installed
From repo   : Rockstor-Stable
Summary     : RockStor -- Store Smartly
Licence     : GPL
Description : RockStor -- Store Smartly

Available Packages
Name        : rockstor
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 3.9.2
Release     : 43
Size        : 15 M
Repo        : Rockstor-Stable
Summary     : RockStor -- Store Smartly
Licence     : GPL
Description : RockStor -- Store Smartly

Visit the same:
SYSTEM - Software Updates
Web-UI page and select channel you want.

• If it’s testing (gratis) then it will activate directly.
  • If it’s stable then you will be presented with a popup with a web page link to visit. This will take you to the shop to get an activation code. Once you have this activation code (received via email), enter it in that same popup dialog.

The Update Channels doc page has some pictures of what to expect.

Hope that helps, you should however have already been offered updates if you have already subscribed to the testing channel.

Yes, you can go straight from 3.9.1-0 (iso without any updates) to latest stable. Just bear in mind that it will take ages to apply all of the updates as they also include the rest of our current CentOS base. So be patient and be prepared for the Web-UI to disappear for a possibly a few minutes also.

Hope that helps and glad to hear your testing is going OK, bar this update question of course.

If in any doubt just past the output of that command here and we can see where your system is at currently. And remember that bug re changing from testing to stable which can be fixed by simply executing a:

yum update rockstor

There after it should work as expected and as described above re the Web-UI indicators and Software - Update page.

You can always paste a picture / screen grab here if you are not seeing what you expect. But take care not to show your appliance id, just in case.

OK, just got your above more recent post.

Lets start with the output from:

yum update

As that should show us what is happening and where it’s failing.

I get:

[root@xxxx]# yum update
Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 20954.
Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit…
The other application is: yum
Memory : 34 M RSS (418 MB VSZ)
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 03:59 ago
State : Sleeping, pid: 20954
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:01 ago
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:03 ago
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:05 ago
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:07 ago
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:09 ago
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:11 ago
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:13 ago
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:15 ago
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:17 ago
Started: Wed Nov 14 16:59:47 2018 - 04:19 ago

Now I tried after killing the process that blocked me and I get:

[root@bkp03 run]# yum update
http://updates.rockstor.com:8999/rockstor-testing/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout on http://updates.rockstor.com:8999/rockstor-testing/repodata/repomd.xml: (28, ‘Connection timed out after 30000 milliseconds’)
Trying other mirror.

@carlasella
This simply means that an update / or another yum process is running.
ie: the:

Given it a little while longer and then try again. If you have recently rebooted then this can happen also as the Web-UI is checking itself, using yum, to see if there are any updates.

Or it may just be that it’s still doing the last update you requested.

Not so good move really. You have to be way more patient as that kill command could well have broken a pending / in progress update. But it may just have been waiting like this one you started was doing, which would explain why you haven’t had any updates:

Make sure you machine has internet access and try again in a bit. Try not to kill the yum processes though as this can cause all manner of half applied updates which can be rather tricky to sort thereafter.

So we are now down to either no internet access or a network firewall blocking access to the testing repo, or the testing repo is down which is not what I’m seeing at least from here.

yum check-update

may give us more info on whats happening.

@carlasella I see that you with drew your last post. Can you confirm if you now have a shiny new Rockstor installed OK?

I suspect there was a blip in the update servers and this was the cause of your issue. Hopefully that is now sorted.

So do let us know if your

yum update

or Web-UI variant (updating to latest Rockstor) worked as intended and that a

yum info rockstor

now shows that you have definitely updated that package.

Once you’ve done this command line update once you shouldn’t need to do it again. And if fact you shouldn’t have had to this time either, hence my suspicion we had temporary outage on the update server (yet to be confirmed).

Thanks for your patience on this far from ideal experience and if you arn’t now ‘sorted’ with all updates installed then lets pick up from the output of those 2 commands.

It least you now have the stable channel selected and active as demonstrated by the 3.9.2-43 available version in your withdrawn post (via the ‘yum info rockstor’ command). As of quite soon there should also be a 3.9.2-44 available so if you are all sorted now let us know if, when that appears, you have a smoother time as it should just show up in the Web-UI and prompt you via the up-arrow by the version number (top right).

Thanks for helping to support Rockstor’s development by the way. Much appreciated. I just hope you got your update - finally. Please let us know either way though so we can take it from there.

@phillxnet Thanks for asking :slight_smile:.
I had a little problem but, as I am only in a testing phase, I decided to re-install Rockstor on my HP Microserver from iso 3.9.1., activate the stable channel and upgrade, this also to get to know Rockstor better as it’s new to me.
It took a while and now it’s done.
So yes I have a shiny new Rockstor 3.9.2.-44 now.
Thanks a lot for your support.
Carla.