Installing on NVME disk on Supermicro

Hi,

Does anyone have suggestions how to get Rockstor to install on NVMe, needs to be UEFI since Supermicro does not boot to non-EFI m.2 disks? CentOS 7 (newest) seems to work out of the box when you install it booting from USB key as UEFI.

New installation media with EFI support coming? (or in testing?).

If that’s a days/weeks/months away, is there a way to upgrade centos 7 installation to Rockstor?

@Jorma_Tuomainen A belated welcome to the Rockstor community.

We do have the following which has a CentOS 7.4 target currently:

but not sure of the time frame unfortunately.

1. Any chance to get instructions how to convert pure centos installation to rockstor?

2. Adding EFI stuff to mkisofs command should suffice since CentOS has EFI support built-in, ISO just needs to be able to boot itself from UEFI, so that would be quicker than rebasing whole ISO (and probably is transferable to that branch directly).

@Jorma_Tuomainen

Yes we did have an a pull request that was merged with this in mind. Doesn’t look like it has fully addressed the UEFI side of things however:

Maybe you could take things from there.

The rockstor-iso should contain all that is required to create the iso, though I haven’t tried this myself just yet. Do feel free to submit a pull request on improving the UEFI front. I was under the impression that some forum members had successfully installed via UEFI however.

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

I managed to install older one, 3.8-12 (newer got /dev/root missing errors), GUI is giving some errors here and there but at least I got the pool now. Might be that I need to settle for CentOS system with CLI instead of the GUI :frowning:

Any chance to keep the pools/shares and install newer ISO if there is EFI supporting version in the future?

@Jorma_Tuomainen

Yes, as long as non of your pools has the system disk as it’s member and your don’t store anything on the rockstor_rockstor pool then upon attaching your existing pool disks to a newer install you should be given an import option.

There is also the related Configuration Backup and Restore and Data Import sections of the docs.

Hope that helps.

@Jorma_Tuomainen

If that version number is right that is a very old version number. If you intend to attempt to upgrade in place from there you might want to take heed of the following thread:

which highlights / details certain requirements to ‘stop off’ at an interim Rockstor version, from a quick read I think it’s 3.8.15. Make sure to reboot after each update just in case.

I don’t have any data on there so what dirs should I destroy to cleanly install rockstor? Deleting users, yum remove rockstor and rm -rf /opt/rockstor enough? Then just yum install rockstor ?

Nevermind, I think I got it working now :slight_smile: Just rm -rf:d /opt/rockstor, reinstalled that, updatet everything and few reboots.