Installing software in OpenSUSE base

I know Rockstor is based on OpenSUSE, is it possible to install software on the bare metal OpenSUSE base, not in a vm or plugin? I know it may not be recommended, just wondering if for my purposes it is a standard OpenSUSE install.

The reason is I want to install the Veeam Linux Agent to perform snapshots directly from BTRFS.

@nixcamic Hello again.
Re:

Absolutely, and the instructions to do this are referenced on the Downloads page. But there are greater risks re ‘contaminating’ packages. By way of example, we do not include for example multi-path block driver related packages as we are not yet compatibly with such a setup, or the devices that the supporting services invoke. They will break the Web-UI. Ergo far better to use the installers which contain what is basically requied and, as far as we know, no incompatible packages or servcies.

That’s basically it. We develop and build our rpms on Vanilla openSUSE Leap (version as per repo). But the whole-package comes with the installer. And that is by far the more common install, and so assumed to be the better behaving. Plus it’s way faster to install via our installer than it is to install a server instance of openSUSE.

That doesn’t seem like a viable reason. Why not just install this on a Rockstor installer derived instance. Our repositories are near identical to an upstream openSUSE of the same base version. See the following section in our FAQ:

What Repositories does Rockstor 4 use?: Product FAQ — Rockstor documentation

And depending on where those snapshots are located, and how they are arranged, it may-or-may-not confuse our Web-UI. But it would of course be good to know either.

Try just installing this agent as if you were on a vanilla openSUSE. We are actually extremely close to a vanilla server install. With maybe a few more odds and ends installed to accommodate our required build (from source) and the various services we have a Web-UI component built-in for.

Hope that helps.

1 Like