Log file view and docker reset option?

New Rockstor user here! I see a lot of potential and personal attention here on the forums!

I just have a couple of suggestions. I am pretty experienced with Linux but sometime I just don’t feel like having to go into ssh just to look at an error log for a docker. I have spen enough time with multiple devices on a Linux console.

So a suggestion that I could see as pretty easy to implement and very useful for those less Linux experienced:

Ability to view log files directly from the dashboard. This would be very useful for the dockers as the documentation maybe a bit unclear and sometimes may need to change things to get dockers to work.

A second would be a docker reset option that would clear out all information from a docker that was installed or failed to install.

Example: Installing the and configuring the Owncloud docker resulted in some type of error. I Deleted any shares created after uninstalling the docker plugin. After looking up some information on it I went back to try again but it refuses to installing saying there was an error installing the docker even after removing it and the share. I do get a message saying to look at the log file but have not had the spare time to do so.

Though a log file viewer and a reset system for the dockers would make things easier for new user and those with less time to spare on there home NAS.

Thanks again for the great software!

1 Like

@johnciaccio Welcome to the Rockstor community and thanks for the comments / suggestions. There is an outstanding issue for web based logging Add a feature to look at logs in the web-ui which would be great to have. I’ve added a suggestion on there for logio.org but I think it would be overkill and haven’t gotten around to trying it myself yet. Looking again it doesn’t seem to have received any attention /commits for some time. Also not in a position to evaluate it’s suitability really either. I think a plugin based logger would be good as then we could add / remove various filters / harvesters as needed, including hopefully ones that could track internal docker / Rockon activity, or btrfs issues.

OK. Thanks for. The info. I did a search on the issue tracker for it before posting.

The docker system seems to have an issue with removed dockers. The log file seems to show that the owncloud docker is already installed and errors when trying to install. I have tried to search for any remaining files from the older install but can not find anything. Only two dockers that are installed and working OK. This is why I suggested a docker rest system.

I am at work and do not have access to the log now. I will say it is very generic and says the docker is present and can not install.

Just getting back with the errors I have been getting Plex gives the updater an error and I can not install Owncloud. How do I remove Owncloud when it shows an error aand is not installed?

Log file:

[06/Mar/2016 08:01:51] ERROR [storageadmin.util:46] request path: /api/rockons/update method: POST data: <QueryDict: {}>
[06/Mar/2016 08:01:51] ERROR [storageadmin.util:47] exception: Cannot add/remove volume definitions of the container(plex) as it belongs to an installed Rock-on(Plex). Uninstall it first and try again.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon.py”, line 105, in post
self._create_update_meta(r, rockons[r])
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.6.11-py2.7.egg/django/db/transaction.py”, line 371, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon.py”, line 255, in _create_update_meta
handle_exception(Exception(e_msg), self.request)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/util.py”, line 52, in handle_exception
raise RockStorAPIException(detail=e_msg)
RockStorAPIException: Cannot add/remove volume definitions of the container(owncloud-postgres) as it belongs to an installed Rock-on(OwnCloud). Uninstall it first and try again.
[06/Mar/2016 08:01:51] DEBUG [storageadmin.util:48] Current Rockstor version: 3.8-12
[06/Mar/2016 08:01:51] ERROR [storageadmin.views.rockon:108] Cannot add/remove volume definitions of the container(plex) as it belongs to an installed Rock-on(Plex). Uninstall it first and try again.
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon.py”, line 105, in post
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.6.11-py2.7.egg/django/db/transaction.py”, line 371, in inner
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon.py”, line 255, in _create_update_meta
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/util.py”, line 52, in handle_exception
RockStorAPIException: Cannot add/remove volume definitions of the container(plex) as it belongs to an installed Rock-on(Plex). Uninstall it first and try again.
[06/Mar/2016 08:01:51] ERROR [storageadmin.util:46] request path: /api/rockons/update method: POST data: <QueryDict: {}>
[06/Mar/2016 08:01:51] ERROR [storageadmin.util:47] exception: Errors occurred while processing updates for following Rock-ons. Plex: Cannot add/remove volume definitions of the container(plex) as it belongs to an installed Rock-on(Plex). Uninstall it first and try again.
RockStorAPIException: Cannot add/remove volume definitions of the container(plex) as it belongs to an installed Rock-on(Plex). Uninstall it first and try again.
[06/Mar/2016 08:01:51] DEBUG [storageadmin.util:48] Current Rockstor version: 3.8-12
[06/Mar/2016 08:01:51] ERROR [smart_manager.data_collector:320] failed to update Rock-on metadata. low-level exception: Errors occurred while processing updates for following Rock-ons. Plex: Cannot add/remove volume definitions of the container(plex) as it belongs to an installed Rock-on(Plex). Uninstall it first and

I had a similar issue while trying to set up the Owncloud plugin on a fresh install this morning. Had an error during initial setup, then removed the plugin, and decided to recreate the shares used for storage a little differently. Now when I try to install Owncloud plugin it doesn’t ask me where I want to store the config, database, or storage (the original shares don’t even exist now) - the first prompt is for the webui port and there is no back button. Clicking through results in a failed installation.