Migration from Windows Server

Greetings People

I am currently looking into replacing our ageing Windows servers with a Rockstor implementation, does anyone have experience of doing this and have some pointers for best ways to migrate the data?

I intend to maintain our existing AD and get the account info from there (bind to the domain) - but the 5TB of data will need migrating.

I am currently experimenting with RoboCopy (using the RoboMirror GUI) - but have some issues with files not transferring when owned by a non-AD user…
The best I have managed so far is to do an initial copy ignoring security (acls and owner) then a second run with /secfix and /copyall.
Does anyone have any better migration plans?

Hi @ScarabMonkey, let’s go step by step

[quote=“ScarabMonkey, post:1, topic:1367”]
I am currently looking into replacing our ageing Windows servers with a Rockstor implementation, [/quote]
This is a good thing, first because you abandon WIN :tada: and last but not the least cos’ you move to Rockstor! :sunglasses:

[quote]
does anyone have experience of doing this and have some pointers for best ways to migrate the data?[/quote]

I have done the same thing nearly two years ago, forcing my company to do that conscious of possible benefits

Is this a WIN AD or SAMBA AD??? I’ve seen you work on VMware so if on a win AD you should consider migrating it too (done it for a 50+ users env and actually it’s running on a small debian over Proxmox. Look next image, you’ll never have a win AD running with just a 1 cpu/1 core and 512MB/1GB ram :grin:)

When i first moved my files it was easy thanks to internal organization (there’s a good directory trees structure so i didn’t have to care about acls and modified them once moved)

Reading you problem, this is the trick i think should solve: select your files and add full AD Admin permissions, then try with robocopy - obviously running it from a cmd loaded by AD Admin

Flyer

P.S.: Look at rfc2307 issue and if possible try it

1 Like