Mount: /media: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs' (hint: possibly blacklisted, see mount(8))

I am trying to mount an external harddrive, and I am getting the above error.
This is one of those drives from Best Buy, make WD EasyStore 5TB.

Which version of Rockstor are you running? Iā€™m on v4.1, which is built on Suse Leap. The old version may not or may not have ntfs support built in (my reading indicates that CentOS 7 did not have ntfs support enabled out-of-the-box). My external drive is working with this line in /etc/fstab:

LABEL=WD2TbExt /mnt/WD2TbExt ntfs auto 0 0

Youā€™ll need to set the LABEL= parameter to match your volume label. and the next parameter to match your mount point.

Remember that it wonā€™t appear in the Rockstor UI as it is not a btrfs volume.

4 Likes

Here is my system version.

System is running Rockstor version: 4.1.0-0

I am using sudo mount, command line interface. I ssh into to RockStor server. I set up raid 10 using 36TB memory. I didnā€™t set the label. Let me try with the label option. Thank you for your response and I appreciate it.

2 Likes

RiversideNas:/dev # cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=SWAP swap swap defaults 0 0
LABEL=ROOT / btrfs noatime 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /.snapshots btrfs noatime,subvol=@/.snapshots 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /home btrfs noatime,subvol=@/home 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /opt btrfs noatime,subvol=@/opt 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /root btrfs noatime,subvol=@/root 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /srv btrfs noatime,subvol=@/srv 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /tmp btrfs noatime,subvol=@/tmp 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /var btrfs noatime,subvol=@/var 0 0
LABEL=EFI /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /usr/local btrfs noatime,subvol=@/usr/local 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /boot/grub2/i386-pc btrfs noatime,subvol=@/boot/grub2/i386-pc 0 0
LABEL=ROOT /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi btrfs noatime,subvol=@/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi 0 0
LABEL=easystore /dev/sdg1 ntfs auto 0 0

RiversideNas:/dev # ls -ltr /dev/disk/by-label/easystore
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 17 17:07 /dev/disk/by-label/easystore -> ā€¦/ā€¦/sdg1

RiversideNas:/dev # ls -ltr /dev/sdg1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 97 Mar 17 17:07 /dev/sdg1

RiversideNas:/dev # mount -av
swap : ignored
/ : ignored
/.snapshots : already mounted
/home : already mounted
/opt : already mounted
/root : already mounted
/srv : already mounted
/tmp : already mounted
/var : already mounted
/boot/efi : already mounted
/usr/local : already mounted
/boot/grub2/i386-pc : already mounted
/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi : already mounted
mount: /dev/sdg1: unknown filesystem type ā€˜ntfsā€™ (hint: possibly blacklisted, see mount(8)).

RiversideNas:/dev # file /dev/sdg1
/dev/sdg1: block special (8/97)

RiversideNas:/dev # file /dev/disk/by-label/
easystore EFI NasHome ROOT SWAP

RiversideNas:/dev # file /dev/disk/by-label/easystore
/dev/disk/by-label/easystore: symbolic link to ā€¦/ā€¦/sdg1

What am i doing wrong here?

I just needed to install a package. Then everything worked like a charm. Thank you Bill for give me the direction to look into this issue.

zypper install -y ntfs-3g

RiversideNas:/mnt2 # mount -av
swap : ignored
/ : ignored
/.snapshots : already mounted
/home : already mounted
/opt : already mounted
/root : already mounted
/srv : already mounted
/tmp : already mounted
/var : already mounted
/boot/efi : already mounted
/usr/local : already mounted
/boot/grub2/i386-pc : already mounted
/boot/grub2/x86_64-efi : already mounted
/dev/sdg : successfully mounted

3 Likes

@Flox @avan @wdc @Hooverdan @GeoffA

Maybe we should be including this package by default in our installer? Iā€™m assuming itā€™s available in our regular repositories. Iā€™ve got a list of smaller nice-to-have additional programs lined up in the following installer issue.

https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-installer/issues/85

Iā€™m super keen to keep things as small as possible but itā€™s not that uncommon for folks to want to import from ntfs. And if this package isnā€™t too large it may be worth itā€™s weight to ease the way for folks wanting to do this.

From a quick look itā€™s not tiny but itā€™s not MBā€™s either, plus itā€™s from one of our included repositories.

zypper info ntfs-3g
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package ntfs-3g:
--------------------------------
Repository     : Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
Name           : ntfs-3g
Version        : 2021.8.22-3.8.1
Arch           : x86_64
Vendor         : SUSE LLC <https://www.suse.com/>
Installed Size : 306.8 KiB
Installed      : Yes
Status         : up-to-date
Source package : ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2021.8.22-3.8.1.src
Summary        : NTFS Support in Userspace
Description    : 
    NTFS-3G allows for read/write access to NTFS partitions which can be
    shared with Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows
    Vista and Windows Seven.

I had thought this type of file system access was already in-kernel actually. Maybe we get this in Leap 15.4.

Your thoughts folks.

2 Likes

I think the quick win this would give is large compared to the relatively small installed size of the ntfs package. If it was some obscure fs then I might be of a different opinion, but ntfs is probably one of the most common ones out there and anything that opens doors for potential users to use Rockstor has to be a good thing.

A dummy ā€˜zypper in ntfs-3gā€™ tells me it needs to install 4 packages in total, with a download of 1.1MB and installed usage of 4.1MB. Thatā€™s hardly a biggie re usage.

I vote ā€˜Yesā€™ to including this functionality.

3 Likes

I second that. Seems like a good addition, along with the other tools @phillxnet put on his list.

The future nice-to-have would of course be to expose the ntfs mounting option in the WebUI somehow, so it doesnā€™t have to be down at the command line, but thatā€™s for another day and probably goes back to the conversation that we had in another thread about a file manager coming as part of Rockstor to actively manage on the server vs. it being an appliance strictly for serving up data ā€¦

3 Likes

I guess, when looking at this post by one of their Global Moderators it seems itā€™s only ā€œstandardā€ in the kernel:stable:backport on Leap 15.3:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/562869-When-will-the-new-ntfs3-driver-be-available-in-LEAP

3 Likes

OK, so Iā€™ve now added ntfs-3g to the list in that issue. Hopefully we can then remove it come Leap 15.4 as Iā€™m assuming that would be a far better option once itā€™s available. Of course it may not even appear in 15.4, as itā€™s already at beta but we will have to see.

@Flox if you disagree then we can re-consider adding ntfs-3g in that issue, I donā€™t feel particularly strongly myself as those who can manually mount can often find their way to the package requirement as is the case with @avan in this thread. But smoother rides are nicer and as @Hooverdan indicated itā€™s only 4 MB so thatā€™s got to be worth the removing of bumps along the way for those wanting to import from external USB drives for instance. Plus we have had a number of folks here on the forum asking how to do this same type of data import. So dropping a ā€˜stepā€™ along the way would be nice.

The issue I created did originally have in mind very small programs but no-worries.

@Hooverdan
Re:

Thanks for looking that up. Much appreciated. We will have to keep an eye on the Leap 15.4 state regarding this.

Thanks folks.

3 Likes