Need guidance on how to build the installer

Heyy there,
I just got back to using Rockstor and noticed that there now is a new version based on openSUSE.
But since the installer has be build myself I can’t install it yet. I just can’t find a guide and the Github page isn’t that clear to understand as well. Could someone please give me a guide on how to build the installer?

Greetings :slight_smile:

@Siren Welcome to the Rockstor community.

Then we/our docs, are currently in a failing state :slight_smile: .

Lets boil down the stumbling points for you. Starting with what ‘computing’ you have available. I.e. with your current computing arrangements laptop/desktop etc, can you create a virtual machine running a modern linux install? Do you already have a linux install by chance. We are currently now down to just a few cut-and-paste commands if you do have a linux install so we need to clearly identify where these instructions are failing. I know they are still a little muddled so let us know the first issue you run into and we can take it step-by-step and hopefully improve the instructions as we go. Many here on the forum have now build their own installers so hopefully between us we can see where we are failing in presenting the ‘method’. Obviously for a DIY NAS project there is assumed some base knowledge but the installer creation souldn’t require a significant amount more on top of that, if we are as clear as possible in the directions anyway.

I’m keen to have these instructions as clear as can be so your difficulty is, in part, down to our lack of clear instructions. Let us know here, bit by bit, what the hold-up is. That way we can piecemeal make stuff easier; hopefully. Plus downloads are due soon so theirs that. But it’s definitely worth being able to go the DIY method.

Let us know the first stumbling block you reach in the README.md file for our DIY rockstor-installer instructions: https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-installer

Hope that helps.

And if anyone who has successfully build the DIY installer could chip in here that would be great. Having super clean instructions has to help all around as there is always going to be a place for the DIY method and it’s important to maintain it as accessibly as possible. Cheers.

1 Like

Well thanks for the reply. :slight_smile:
I have set up a VM running openSUSE Leap 15.2 and already cloned the github directory, as the HowTo says to do. But now I can’t quite figure out where to continue and what profile to choose.
I don’t really understand the differences between " For building on any linux host with KVM support" and " For building on dedicated openSUSE installations". :neutral_face:
So I don’t know what to choose there and how to continue onwards.

I hope this helps you to help me

1 Like

@Siren OK, so your almost there then.
Re:

If you are building for an x86_64 machine then you want the “Leap15.2.x86_64”, i.e. base-os then machine-type. Our current target is Leap 15.2.

OK, good point. Since you already have an openSUSE Leap 15.2 instance (VM in this case) you might as well use the more performant “For building on dedicated openSUSE installations”. I.e. you have a dedicated/matched OS for he build. The other option is for say using a regular modern linux desktop that is not dedicated and our underlying installer builder kiwi-ng can auto-invoke the virtual machine that you have setup by-hand yourself.

Hope that helps and let us know here the next stumbling block and we can create here a list then of the points were we end up confusing rather than communicating. I can then move to create a Readme issue so we can clarify things.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Okay thank you, I figured out how to create the ISO file.
After cloning, I just copied the commands under the point " For building on dedicated openSUSE installations >> Leap 15.2 host" and then the one under " Leap15.2.x86_64 profile" and it created an ISO file. Now I’ll see if that works and if it does I’d close that topic. If not I’ll comment back here…

Thanks for your help and also thanks for clarifying some things. :slight_smile:

4 Likes