New installation in vmware - ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem

Hi

Thought I’d try out Rockstor as an alternative to Freenas (as its got less RAM requirement) for a small church office. As with any item, I’m trying it out at home first, using my VMWare esx 6.5 installation.

I may be doing something incorrect in the installation - if so, can someone please point me in the right direction - when I click on ‘scan disks’ I get the following:

Houston, we’ve had a problem.
Error running a command. cmd = /sbin/btrfs filesystem show /dev/disk/by-id/sda3. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem: /dev/disk/by-id/sda3’, ‘’]

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 377, in post
return self._update_disk_state()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/utils/decorators.py”, line 145, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 322, in _update_disk_state
p.uuid = btrfs_uuid(dob.name)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 1055, in btrfs_uuid
[BTRFS, ‘filesystem’, ‘show’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/%s’ % disk])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 115, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /sbin/btrfs filesystem show /dev/disk/by-id/sda3. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem: /dev/disk/by-id/sda3’, ‘’]

Background details:
As mentioned, a brand-new installation using a newly downloaded ISO: Rockstor-3.9.1.iso direct from the main website.
I created a new VM, 1 CPU, 4Gb Ram, and 20Gb HD, and booted off the ISO.
Apart from setting the root password within the installer, I didn’t enter any details (it only allowed me to enter the root password - other options vanished before I could click on them).

I entered my username and password, then opened up the main website (the intro screen kept saying that the user and password was already present - username ‘carl’, on a brand new blank vm… interesting).

When I clicked on ‘scan disks’ it came up with the error above - it also comes up if I try to add another disk (I.e. I can’t add any disks for storage).

Its interesting that its complaining about /dev/sda3, which in fact is the root filesystem:

[root@Rockstor ~]# mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda3 on / type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=258,subvol=/root)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs

So I’m a little puzzled as to what I’ve done wrong here - can anyone assist? I’m happy to blow this away and re-do…

Cheers

Carl.

Hi
Slight update… realised the issue is that its trying to recognise disk by ID…

[root@Rockstor ~]# ls -l /dev/disk/by-id/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Apr 22 17:56 ata-VMware_Virtual_SATA_CDRW_Drive_00000000000000000001 -> …/…/sr0

In fact, ‘sda3’ doesn’t exist in the /dev/disk/… file area:

[root@Rockstor disk]# find . -print
./by-label
./by-label/Rockstor\x203\x20x86_64
./by-label/rockstor_rockstor
./by-uuid
./by-uuid/2017-07-02-03-11-01-00
./by-uuid/0c532e74-dcf9-4ba6-8fc7-dfaef23ff88c
./by-uuid/61223fab-8ec7-40fa-bab5-141660205cc7
./by-uuid/5471fb70-378c-4b6e-a634-82d07fec47ac
./by-path
./by-path/pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part2
./by-path/pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part3
./by-path/pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0-part1
./by-path/pci-0000:03:00.0-scsi-0:0:0:0
./by-path/pci-0000:02:03.0-ata-1.0
./by-id
./by-id/ata-VMware_Virtual_SATA_CDRW_Drive_00000000000000000001
[root@Rockstor disk]# pwd
/dev/disk

Is there a way to manually remove ‘sda3’ from the list of disks (or as mentioned, did I miss something in the setup…)

Cheers

Carl.

Hi @carl,

Can you make sure that Disk.EnableUUID is set to true on that VM in ESX? Should be something like this:

1. Power down the VM
  2. Edit the setting sof the VM
  3. On the General tab click on Configuration Parameters
  4. Click the Add Row button
  5. In the first column, type “Disk.EnableUUID” without the quotes.
  6. In the second column, type “TRUE” without the quotes.
  7. Click Ok
  8. Power on VM

You may also need to install the open-vm-tools package as well. I’d do that before the above steps however, just so you already have it there.

2 Likes

Hi

Many thanks - the VM options alteration worked :smile:

Much appreciated - putting the program through its paces now…

Carl.