New to NAS and RockStor - Memory Issue: Only 2GB Recognized Instead of 8GB

Hey everyone,

I recently delved into the world of NAS and set up my own using RockStor. My NAS configuration includes 8GB (4+4) of DDR3 RAM and 8TB (4+4) storage with RAID 1, utilizing an H81 motherboard. To improve network speed, I also added a Gigabit PCIE Ethernet card, as the onboard Ethernet is limited to 10/100.

Most aspects of the NAS are functioning as expected, but I encountered a puzzling issue. When I access the webUI, the memory widget shows only 2GB of RAM instead of the expected 8GB. This discrepancy is concerning me. Can anyone shed light on what might be causing this and how I could resolve it?

Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Configuration:

• NAS Software: RockStor Built on openSUSE Leap15.4
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3 (4+4)
  • Storage: 8TB (4+4) in RAID 1
  • Motherboard: H81
  • Added: Gigabit PCIE Ethernet card

Looking forward to your valuable insights!

@Amigo Welcome to the Rockstor community forum.
Re:

We don’t actually surface the total system ram in our memory widget, we only show percentages, I’d like to have total RAM indicated myself; and a pull request to add it would be welcome, but back to the point :slight_smile: . I think you may just be reading the swap file size, configured within our installer

Could you past a screen grab of the dashboard widget you are referencing so that we know we are talking about the same thing.

This sounds like a nice system by the way.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Yes, thank you. I’m looking at swap file size. here is the screen grab

I’d like to use my NAS remotely and I heard that it is possible with RockStor addons. Could you tell me where can I find the documentation to achieve this? Thank you very much for your help

1 Like

@Amigo if you referring to accessing Rockstor remotely, then your best choice currently is the OpenVPN Rockon. Alternatively, we are currently reviewing a proposed Wireguard VPN here (New VPN Rockon Based on WireGuard by Hooverdan96 · Pull Request #347 · rockstor/rockon-registry · GitHub) which at some point in the near future might be added to the official Rockon repository (you can also use that json file now and install it as a local Rockon - see the documentation for that here:
Rock-ons (Docker Plugins) — Rockstor documentation

3 Likes