Pools and shares unmounted after reboot

Hi,

I try to setup a fresh Rockstor server. It runs under ESXi hypervisor with a passed thru SATA controller.
I always run into the problem, that my pools and shares are unmounted after some reboots.

I install from the 3.9.1 ISO. After this I activate my subscription and update to 3.9.2-53.
Then reboot. Mostly then the pools are mounted.
The I am going to configure my system. At some point I do a reboot and after the pools are unmounted.
See screenshot attached.

I found that the bootstrap service is not started and I am unable to start it manually.
Here is the log:
Feb 19 22:26:13 storage bootstrap[4263]: BTRFS device scan complete
Feb 19 22:26:13 storage bootstrap[4263]: Exception occured while bootstrapping. This could be because rockstor.service is still starting up. will wait 2 seconds and try again. Exception: OauthApp matching query does not exist.
Feb 19 22:26:13 storage bootstrap[4263]: Exception occured while bootstrapping. This could be because rockstor.service is still starting up. will wait 2 seconds and try again. Exception: OauthApp matching query does not exist.
Feb 19 22:26:13 storage bootstrap[4263]: Max attempts(15) reached. Connection errors persist. Failed to bootstrap. Error: OauthApp matching query does not exist.
Feb 19 22:26:13 storage systemd[1]: rockstor-bootstrap.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 19 22:26:13 storage systemd[1]: Failed to start Rockstor bootstrapping tasks.
Feb 19 22:26:13 storage systemd[1]: Unit rockstor-bootstrap.service entered failed state.
Feb 19 22:26:13 storage systemd[1]: rockstor-bootstrap.service failed.

Any idea what to do?
I tried several installs. No luck.

@Schrauber

Can you show the output of
systemctl status -l rockstor rockstor-bootstrap and

'journalctl -xe'

may be that will provide a few more clues.

Without being an expert I found this comment from some time ago, but not sure whether this is causing your issue, too:

I also assume, that this is not an issue for you, since you’re able to run your setup in general:
https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.1/vmwareesx/productguides/html/sfhas_virtualization/ch09s05s01.htm

1 Like

After countless reinstalls I found the problem. It had nothing to do with ESXi.

The problem was with the user that is created on the initial setup. This user gets uid 1000 an gid 1000. But I wanted the users group to be its main group. So I created a second temporary user, logged in with this. Then I deleted the initial user and crearted it again with the right group. I did it this way, because you can not change the gid from the web ui. After this change the bootstrap service does no longer come up.

After I found it has to do with the user, I did this change another way. I used usermod from the commandline to change the main group. And this worked fine.

So the conclusion is: Do never delete the initial user.

1 Like