RAID disk disappearing

Hi, all, I’m new to Rockstor and built my own NAS (below).

The install seems to have gone fine, but now I am having a problem with making a RAID 0 array with 2 Ironwolf 8TB HDD (I’ll change to 10 when I get 2 more drives).

I created the new pool as raid 0 and it said 14.x TB total space. Then I went to create a share on it for media and it says only 7.x TB of space are available, and Y of Infinity% space is used.

Is this just a bad drive that I need to RMA, or is there something I need to do in software/hardware to fix it?

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

AMD R3 3600
Asrock Steel B550M board
32GB DDR4 3600 ram
500GB Samsung 970 evo plus NVME
2x 8TB Ironwolf HDD

@Samuryno Welcome to the Rockstor community forum.

We may just have a size calculation bug for this raid level:
Re:

We tent to focus on the redundant btrfs-raid profiles at that is mostly what folks tend to use.

Yes, 7 TB is more akin to a btrfs-raid1 with these 2 drives.

Looks very odd. Could you let us know if you have quotas disabled (the are enabled by default) that will remove some size info availability on the share side of things.

Also if you post the output of the following commands, run as root, it should help folks here on the forum know more about what may be happening:

for overall system btrfs layout

btrfs fi show

for the specific data pool info regarding raid levels etc:

btrfs fi usage /mnt2/your-data-pool-name-here

Plus a screen grab of the Pool details page so we can see the differences as it were.
We also need to know the Rockstor version and update channel (if any) you are using.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

I’ll try running those commands when I get a chance. I tried creating a Raid 1 array and received this message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/pool.py”, line 445, in post
add_pool(p, dnames)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 146, in add_pool
out, err, rc = run_command(cmd, log=True)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 227, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/mkfs.btrfs -f -d raid1 -m raid1 -L storage-main /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST8000VN004-3CP101_WWZ2ND9P /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST8000VN004-3CP101_WWZ2P7J3. rc = 1. stdout = ['btrfs-progs v5.14 ', ‘See http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org for more information.’, ‘’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘ERROR: not enough free space to allocate chunk’, ‘’]

So I think it is most likely a bad disk.