[RESOLVED] RockOns service will not start after disk failure

So, I had a disk failure. Recovered the data from remaining pool disks, removed pool and replaced faulty disk. Created new Raid 1 pools instead of prior Raid 5 pool. Created new shares to match new pools. Apparentlythat was a mistake. The Rockons service will not start. Error is as follows:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/smart_manager/views/docker_service.py", line 48, in _validate_root return Share.objects.get(name=root) File "/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/manager.py", line 127, in manager_method return getattr(self.get_queryset(), name)(*args, **kwargs) File "/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/query.py", line 334, in get self.model._meta.object_name DoesNotExist: Share matching query does not exist.

How do I fix this? I suppose that I need to edit some config files, but with the command line, I am somewhat of a fish out of water…

Thanks in advance for any help! LD

Hi @louisd, and welcome to the community!

I hope you were able to recover your data and didn’t loose anything… it’s never funny to go through that. I might need more information on your current shares/pools, so would you be willing to share the following:

• screenshot of your pools page
  • screenshot of your shares page

This will help us see what are the shares and pools you have listed there (that should reflect what is stored in Rockstor’s database).

Also, did you encounter this error when trying to toggle the Rock-on service ON, or when configuring it? As the share you want to use for a the rockons_root is different (even if same name), I believe it will be necessary for you to re-configure it.

Hopefully that will help us see what the cause is.

1 Like

Flox,

Thank you for your answer. Current screenshots will not help much. I deleted the original pool and shares. The new ones are not named the same at all. There is no trace left of what was before.

Yes, fortunately the RAID 5 shares were still readable (3 out of 4 disks were OK) and I was able to recover important data. (Thank your favorite deity for that!) I scrapped everything that I could either rebuild or recover from other places. Rockons are part of that lot. There is nothing to recover from the rockons installed. I had just installed them, and not started yet to use them. Therefore, I only need to clean up my mess and restart the service fresh.

The error occurs at the moment that I try to turn the service on. I dont reach a point where I could configure something.

You should be able to at least re-configure the service. If I understand correctly, the new share you are trying to use as a rockons_root is brand new and thus empty, is that correct? In this case, have a look at how to configure the Rock-ons service to use that one as a rockons_root:
http://rockstor.com/docs/docker-based-rock-ons/overview.html#the-rock-ons-root

It seems you currently are trying to turn the Rock-ons service ON as it was previously configured, which means it’s looking for a share that is no longer there. Re-configuring the service should update that.

I hope I didn’t misunderstand what you’ve tried so far; my apologies if that’s the case.

1 Like

You were right. All I needed to do was to go to Services and reconfigure Rockons. I was now able to restart the service.

Thank you for the help!

2 Likes

Nice, I’m glad it was that simple!

Cheers,