Rockons app update

if a app in the rockons has a update out how do i update to the newest version.thanks

1 Like

It all depends on how the Rock-on was built.
Usually, those using containers made by Linuxserver.io, for instance, simply need to be turned off, and then turned back on to automatically update, while others may need more.

Which Rock-on are you inquiring about exactly?

the emby app is telling me to shut down emby and up date.

The buttons in the Server Dashboard won’t unfortunately work in the docker container version of the Ember server, but there’s an easy way to update it nonetheless… see instructions in the post linked below:

Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

This worked.thanks very much for the fast replies and help

Hi, I’m curious about updates for Deluge and the Owncloud (old one, not official) rock-ons. Are they automatic also?

Hey guys, thanks for the post, I do follow it and my emby server doesn’t update, I was reviewing the docker manager throw ssh and I see 3 images of the docker, I was thinking maybe is the way that rockstore start the docker, could you please tell me where is the code thath starts the Rock-Ons?, I don’t want to erase a version and stop the service.

Hey guys, I resolved the problem using the Docker Commands, firstly I saw the numbers of containers created and erase all the emby containers (the command:docker container ls -a ) them I listed the images (the command: docker images) and erased the oldest, them I pull the new docker using: docker pull emby/embyserver:latest .

Using the UI, I uninstalled the Rock-On and install again and the Emby server was updated to the latest version using the New Docker version of the Emby.

@Alejandro_Longas_Her Glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing your work around.

We do have work to be done on our Rock-on system to make it more robust and reports such as this all help.

Cheers. There are also plans to add some ‘advanced’ utilities so one can hopefully, once these are in place, get out of corners such as these via the Web-UI. Obviously best if we can not corner ourselves first but still.

How do I upgrade the PLEX rock-on?

I put a response in this thread, where you had also posted the question:

Turning the Jellyfin RockOn off and on did not update it to the latest version though… even if I clicked the “update” button on the rockons page.

And the linuxserver page did indicate that a new version is available…

Hi @Marenz,

The Jellyfin rock-on follows the “docker-way” for updating; Plex is one of the very few images designed to be updated by simple restart. As is described in Linuxserver.io’s documentation, their recommended update procedure is to pull the new image, remove the container, and then re-create it using the same settings:
Updating our containers - LinuxServer.io

In Rockstor, this can be done as follows:

1. Stop the rock-on
  2. Uninstall the rock-on
  3. Re-install the rock-on using the same settings. As the same shares for config and data will be used, you should end up with the underlying container(s) running in the same state as before.

Thanks for bringing this up, though, as we should have some section about that in our documentation. I’ve opened an issue accordingly in our Github repo:
https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-doc/issues/274

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. Worked well.

Even better would be an automated way to do this :wink:

1 Like

That was quick! :wink:

Agreed, and it is planned… glad to see interest in it :-). The idea would be to have something akin to an “Update rock-on” button to do that for you. Interestingly, we pretty much already do that when one adds storage, label, or changes port publication state as a post-install customization so the underlying python logic is already there.

2 Likes

I personally would love if it would just happen automatically or at least is schedulable…

1 Like

Ooops, sorry for my misunderstanding here.

In this case, I would recommend you to have a look at the Rock-on for Watchtower that @Hooverdan created:
https://github.com/rockstor/rockon-registry/pull/247

Here’s the link to the project’s website for some information and documentation on what it does:
https://containrrr.dev/watchtower/

Of course, I feel I have to warn those interested that this kind of automated update approach always carries some risk (in case an update breaks the feature(s) you need)–something to keep in mind.

2 Likes

@Marenz, my 2 cents,
these days, I am using the Watchtower Rock-on to update only some of my Rock-ons where I feel that the risk of them breaking is fairly small (in line with @Flox comments), so Watchtower is running all the time.

In the beginning I took the approach of just turning on the Watchtower Rock-on periodically to look for and update any existing Rock-ons I was using. Once it completed its scan and did its thing, I would then turn it off again, so I would still be in control of the update cycle. That seems to be the preferred approach judging by the discussion I found online in other related forums. so you could start with that … and if you feel confident that your Rock-ons won’t break on the next automated, then you could let the Watchtower Rock-on run.

2 Likes

I suppose you all have fair points. I would then instead suggest to somehow connect it with the rockon & system update mechanics on the same page?