Rockstor Software Update Yum Fail

I’m currently running version 3.8.16-16 I think. It’s not showing in the web UI. I just replaced the mother board and figured while I was doing serious MX, I’d update to the latest development release as well. I hit the software update to see how far behind I was and got the following error.

##### Houston, we’ve had a problem.

Unable to check update due to a system error: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/yum changelog 2017-Mar-08 rockstor. rc = 1. stdout = [‘Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror’, ‘Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile’, ’ * base: ftp.usf.edu’, ’ * epel: mirror.clarkson.edu’, ’ * extras: centos.servint.com’, ’ * updates: ewr.edge.kernel.org’, ‘’]. stderr = [’’, ‘’, ’ One of the configured repositories failed (Unknown),’, " and yum doesn’t have enough cached data to continue. At this point the only", ’ safe thing yum can do is fail. There are a few ways to work “fix” this:’, ‘’, ’ 1. Contact the upstream for the repository and get them to fix the problem.’, ‘’, ’ 2. Reconfigure the baseurl/etc. for the repository, to point to a working’, ’ upstream. This is most often useful if you are using a newer’, ’ distribution release than is supported by the repository (and the’, ’ packages for the previous distribution release still work).’, ‘’, ’ 3. Run the command with the repository temporarily disabled’, ’ yum --disablerepo=<repoid> …’, ‘’, " 4. Disable the repository permanently, so yum won’t use it by default. Yum", ’ will then just ignore the repository until you permanently enable it’, ’ again or use --enablerepo for temporary usage:’, ‘’, ’ yum-config-manager --disable <repoid>’, ’ or’, ’ subscription-manager repos --disable=<repoid>’, ‘’, ’ 5. Configure the failing repository to be skipped, if it is unavailable.’, ’ Note that yum will try to contact the repo. when it runs most commands,’, ’ so will have to try and fail each time (and thus. yum will be be much’, ’ slower). If it is a very temporary problem though, this is often a nice’, ’ compromise:’, ‘’, ’ yum-config-manager --save --setopt=<repoid>.skip_if_unavailable=true’, ‘’, ‘disk I/O error’, ‘’]

The traceback window contains:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/command.py”, line 188, in post
return Response(update_check(subscription=subo))
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/pkg_mgmt.py”, line 163, in update_check
o, e, rc = run_command([YUM, ‘changelog’, date, pkg])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 110, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/yum changelog 2017-Mar-08 rockstor. rc = 1. stdout = [‘Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror’, ‘Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile’, ’ * base: repos.dfw.quadranet.com’, ’ * epel: mirror.clarkson.edu’, ’ * extras: mirrors.centos.webair.com’, ’ * updates: centos.servint.com’, ‘’]. stderr = [’’, ‘’, ’ One of the configured repositories failed (Unknown),’, " and yum doesn’t have enough cached data to continue. At this point the only", ’ safe thing yum can do is fail. There are a few ways to work “fix” this:’, ‘’, ’ 1. Contact the upstream for the repository and get them to fix the problem.’, ‘’, ’ 2. Reconfigure the baseurl/etc. for the repository, to point to a working’, ’ upstream. This is most often useful if you are using a newer’, ’ distribution release than is supported by the repository (and the’, ’ packages for the previous distribution release still work).’, ‘’, ’ 3. Run the command with the repository temporarily disabled’, ’ yum --disablerepo= …’, ‘’, " 4. Disable the repository permanently, so yum won’t use it by default. Yum", ’ will then just ignore the repository until you permanently enable it’, ’ again or use --enablerepo for temporary usage:’, ‘’, ’ yum-config-manager --disable ‘, ’ or’, ’ subscription-manager repos --disable=’, ‘’, ’ 5. Configure the failing repository to be skipped, if it is unavailable.’, ’ Note that yum will try to contact the repo. when it runs most commands,’, ’ so will have to try and fail each time (and thus. yum will be be much’, ’ slower). If it is a very temporary problem though, this is often a nice’, ’ compromise:’, ‘’, ’ yum-config-manager --save --setopt=.skip_if_unavailable=true’, ‘’, ‘disk I/O error’, ‘’]

I’m guessing this is probably a quick CLI action to update the correct repo, but don’t want to guess and break things. Any help greatly appreciated.

@D_Jones Hello again.

It can take a few seconds to appear after a browser page refresh.

yum info rockstor

can confirm the actual installed version.

From that it looks like a repository was down / slow so you might find that if you try it another time it will be sorted. And to rule out any Rockstor code you could a:

yum update rockstor

and if that fails it might be useful to paste the output here.

Hope that helps.

@phillxnet Thanks for the reply. After 1 day 8 hours still no rockstor version number showing in the UI.

As suggested I ran yum info rockstor and got the following:
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Rockstor-Testing | 2.9 kB 00:00
base | 3.6 kB 00:00
epel/x86_64/metalink | 19 kB 00:00
extras | 3.4 kB 00:00
rockstor | 2.9 kB 00:00
updates | 3.4 kB 00:00
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

One of the configured repositories failed (Unknown),
and yum doesn’t have enough cached data to continue. At this point the only
safe thing yum can do is fail. There are a few ways to work “fix” this: (I assume you don’t need the boilerplate recommendations)

Ran yum update rockstor and got the following:
Rockstor-Testing | 2.9 kB 00:00
base | 3.6 kB 00:00
epel/x86_64/metalink | 19 kB 00:00
extras | 3.4 kB 00:00
rockstor | 2.9 kB 00:00
updates | 3.4 kB 00:00

• base: mirrors.advancedhosters.com
  • epel: mirror.grid.uchicago.edu
  • extras: mirror.grid.uchicago.edu
  • updates: centos.vwtonline.net
    One of the configured repositories failed (Unknown),
    and yum doesn’t have enough cached data to continue. At this point the only
    safe thing yum can do is fail. There are a few ways to work “fix” this:

Is this related to the change in testing channel update procedures?
Thanks,
Del

@D_Jones

Yes, if the yum info command fails then the Rockstor version (of the installed rpm) can’t be established, hence it not appearing in the Web-UI header. So it’s the same problem as you have at the command line of:

If you have not added a repository then your internet connection / firewall has an issue with one of the repositories as what you should be getting is:

yum info rockstor
 * base: mirror.mhd.uk.as44574.net
 * epel: mirror.bytemark.co.uk
 * extras: mirrors.clouvider.net
 * updates: mirror.bytemark.co.uk
Installed Packages
Name        : rockstor
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 3.9.1
Release     : 16
Size        : 85 M
Repo        : installed
From repo   : Rockstor-Testing
Summary     : RockStor -- Store Smartly
Licence     : GPL
Description : RockStor -- Store Smartly

yum update rockstor
Rockstor-Testing                                         | 2.9 kB     00:00     
rockstor                                                 | 2.9 kB     00:00     
 * base: mirror.mhd.uk.as44574.net
 * epel: mirror.bytemark.co.uk
 * extras: mirrors.clouvider.net
 * updates: mirror.bytemark.co.uk
No packages marked for update

or something like it depending on the repo mirrors, with the latter entry above assuming you are already fully updated.

I’d check your internet / router for blocked access to one of the repositories as yum is clearly not able to find one of it’s configured repositories.

Hopefully someone else can jump in here with a workaround of sorts.