Samba problems in WD DX4000, service won't start

Hello. I will be short. I have this issue:

root@rockstor ~]# systemctl status smb.service
● smb.service - Samba SMB Daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/smb.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-04-23 12:06:17 CEST; 20min ago
Process: 4402 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/smbd $SMBDOPTIONS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 4402 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor smbd[4402]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsecrets3-samba4.so: version SAMBA_4.7.1' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd) Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor smbd[4402]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libndr-samba-samba4.so: versionSAMBA_4.7.1’ not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor smbd[4402]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsmbd-shim-samba4.so: version SAMBA_4.7.1' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd) Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor smbd[4402]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsamba-debug-samba4.so: versionSAMBA_4.7.1’ not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor smbd[4402]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libpopt-samba3-samba4.so: version SAMBA_4.7.1' not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd) Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor smbd[4402]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsamba3-util-samba4.so: versionSAMBA_4.7.1’ not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor smbd[4402]: /usr/sbin/smbd: /usr/lib64/samba/libsmbd-base-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.7.1’ not found (required by /usr/sbin/smbd)
Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba SMB Daemon.
Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor systemd[1]: Unit smb.service entered failed state.
Apr 23 12:06:17 rockstor systemd[1]: smb.service failed.

I tried restarting, reinstalling, updating, and the problem is still there. The most annoying thing is that those files are where it’s saying that they are not there (maybe the error is because the version, IDK). And I don’t know what to do.

I hit this issue when trying to change my NFS sharings to SMB because I am having speed issues and I wanted to try if changing protocol could help. My speeds are now around 1 Mbps and is pretty disgusting. And I have now my WD DX4000 (maybe WD stands for Worst Devices) plugged straight to a 100 Mbps switch and my PC too to the same switch.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you, have a good files sharing.

Here is the traceback Rockstor gives when trying to turn it on.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/smart_manager/views/samba_service.py”, line 113, in post
systemctl(‘nmb’, command)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/services.py”, line 64, in systemctl
return run_command([SYSTEMCTL_BIN, switch, service_name])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 115, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/systemctl start nmb. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘Job for nmb.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status nmb.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.’, ‘’]

@leondante Hello again.

This looks very much like an upstream updates issue we have seen a number of times and revolves around a major update that took place upstream that changed samba major versions and occasionally ends up with the new version half installed with a broken nmbd element:

Take a look at the following forum thread:

where @Haioken resolved something that looks to be the same as your are experiencing:

Also it may be helpful to paste the output of the suggested command in that error message.

See how you get on with that thread

Hope that helps.